1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

widescreen mode seleco?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by grahamricho, Feb 6, 2002.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    will by using widescreen mode on my seleco 320,be much of an
    improvement on the normal mode?i know about anamorphic dvdS but on a blind watching test the quality ditterent really inprove,,thanks

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    It depends on the disc and the quality of the downscaling present in your DVD player whether this will make a difference or a BIG difference. It#s only going to make a difference on anamorphic discs.

For a real rest of what this should/can do get a hold of Star Trek Insurrection and put the opening scene on a loop from beggining to the slewce gate opening. While it's going round this loop on 4:3 letterbox mode look at the square roofed buildings. Chances are their roofs will look like they are pumping up and down like someone is pressing on the top of them. Also look at the fences surrounding the garden area in top right corner and watch it shimmer.

Now, go to 16:9 on DVD and on Projector. You should find substantially less artefacts like this. The roofs should just have jaggie edges now without weirdo movement.

I've never done this dem on a 320 though, only bigger units with scalers and fixed panel projectors where this can be a HUGE difference. I'd be interested to hear if you think there's much improvement on this scene on yours.

Gordon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm not a selco expert but I thought all the wide screen mode did was to crush the vertical height.

the most significal difference will come from setting your DVD player to wide screen but only when watching anamorphic DVD's which most of the are now anyhow.

Once you have changed the output of your DVD player then you need to change the aspect of your projector.

But I think that's what Gordon said anyhow.

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think if I remember rightly from owning a 320, You can use several "wide modes". Most people would just use 2, Normal and 16:9, but you can have several. Normal, wide, cinema, LBX and small. They are just different memory banks that you can switch too and fro from just one button, and have whatever size and aspect ratio you want. I'm sure Gordon will correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards Rob.

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure when Mr Frost set my pj up, he did it specifically with an anomorphic disc. If you read this by the way Chris, the picture still looks great. I've only had to 'tickle' the convergence slightly since your visit. About 18 months ago is that?

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Arthur,
    Yeah, at least 18 months ago I think. Glad to hear it still looks good.

Graham,
    You should definately use Widescreen mode with "Enhanced for Widescreen" DVDs. There is about 33% more scan lines (picture information) in these anamorphic discs compared to a letterbox DVD of the same aspect ratio.

If the Wide mode hasn't been set-up on your 320 then it will need to be converged.

Regards