Widescreen issues on Sony rdr hxd710, I think i've sorted it out.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LicensedTaximan, Mar 28, 2006.

1. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +745
    I havn't trawled through the threads so I don't know if this matter has already been resolved therefore apologies, but I think i may have sorted it out....:thumbsup:

Firstly I have to say getting someone who knows how to rectify this know problem from Sony is, from my point of view cruddy to say the least and i'm being polite. Plus it was highlighted in HCC but maybe not this actual model. They simply were and still are at the last phone call at a loss to rectify the issue, pretty bad imo. Anyway after a bit of playing around this is what I have discovered, by the way this is with the recorder plumbed through a 4.3 tv but I feel that this would probably make no difference regarding the actual tv itself, I could be wrong though.:)

Ok here's what I have discovered, set the recorder to 16.9 on the video settings so the picture is all squashed up, when you record onto the hard drive or straight to a dvd you will still get the thin picture...but if you record onto the hard drive and then transfer onto a dvd the images will (so far anyway at the time of writing this) be converted to widescreen, i.e 16.9.

Each time I have done this it has worked, apart from anything else to go to the hard drive first and then check the images if you are intending to keep the recording is always a good idea, especially if one needs to edit if it's a film with commercials in it or the usual yapping at the end credits. On the other hand if you only want to watch the film/programme once on the hard drive you'll have to set the recorder to pan & scan or the letterbox image which will give you a 14.9 or 4.3 image, hope this helps.;)

I am assuming an actual 4.3 image would be unaffected by this setting but at the time of playing around I was only recording 16.9 images.:hiya:

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

You should set your source (Freeview/satellite box) to 16:9. This is so you record the best possible picture quality, i.e. use up all the lines in the picture.

When previewing (i.e. watching through the Sony recorder live and not a recording) it will likely be all tall vertically. However providing you tell the Sony recorder you have a 4:3 TV, on playing back recordings it will letter box the picture. The other snag is when you are just watching live from the digi-box you will have to change the setting to 4:3.

The other option is to set your satellite/Freeview box to 4:3, it will then letter box for you and you record it that way, on playing back it is treated as a 4:3 recording regardless of your DVD Recorders 16:9 or 4:3 settings. Using this method means if you keep something, and then play that back in the future on a widescreen TV, you have lost out on resolution and will have to tell the TV to zoom in to remove the bars at the top and bottom.

Note the DVD recorders setting makes no difference to what is recorded, only how it is played back.

Regards

Phil

3. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +745
    Having finalised a dvd+r and played it back on the pc dvd player, a portable dvd player and a conventional dvd player through a tv (a 4.3 one no widescreen tellies here at the momement they still work ok) I can confirm the playback from a recorded 16.9 squashed up picture recorded off the hard drive and on to the disc plays back in 16.9 widescreen.:hiya:

Actually the portable dvd player is widescreen a massive 7" model and whilst the image does not cover the whole screen the image is 16.9.:D