• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Widescreen HD CRT 1080i 50hz flicker?

homerging

I've been thinking of getting a widescreen HD CRT like a Sony 36HQ100/KD34XBR9*0/HR36 and was wondering whether flicker would be a problem.

I ask because previously I was using a Phillips HD CRT which appeared to use 1080i when given a 576p signal.:facepalm: The flicker was the worst I've seen from a TV and was bad enough to make it unwatchable for me. :(

So, could I expect the level of flicker in the 1080i/50hz mode to be similar to the level of flicker from a standard definition television at 50Hz? Or was what I experienced from the Phillips the norm :confused:

Thanks

mike7

Distinguished Member
The Sony set you refer to is not a high definition television. There is no question of it doing anything with a 1080i/50hz signal. As far as I remember there was only one HD CRT released in the UK which was manufactured by Samsung. It had a host of problems.

There are indications on the net that Sony activated a product recall on this set because of safety issues in some models.

Last edited:

homerging

I am not in the UK and the latter two most definitely support 1080i and super fine pitch. I thought the 36HQ100 was the UK version of the HR36 but I might be wrong.

mike7

Distinguished Member
It does not appear to have been sold in UK as an HD set. It appeared around 5 years ago when HD was virtually unheard of here. It may be that it was capable of downscaling a 1080i input to whatever definition the set was capable of. Apart from one person on the Forum who attempted to import a ex-demo super fine pitch Sony TV CRT from Japan I have never heard of such a set being available in the UK market. The Samsung super-slim (or something) was the only HD CRT (Widescreen) set sold in the UK. It was only 720p and was plagued with convergence problems.

In the UK and Europe it is impossible to buy a new CRT set and has been for several years. The only source of supply is usually the local tip!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom