Widescreen games do not fill the whole widescreen tv?

ainat

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if it's just me or is this the case for everyone esle too. When I play games such as Soul Clibur III, Resident Evil 4 etc and enable the widescreen option the picture doesn't fill the whole screen but rather leaving some spaces to the left and right sides of the screen. If I remembered correctly the picture used to fill up the whole screen on my old widescreen CRT. I'm playing on a 32" HDTV (LCD) by the way and it's a modded PAL PS2 if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help guys! :thumbsup:

jedi-jae

Simply put, LCDs and Plasmas have a larger display area, your old CRT obscured some of the screen with plastic casing. That doesn't happen with flat panels.

I get the same thing, but it's just the way the game was created to fit a CRT screen, I guess. I would imagine next gen games will fill the screen completely.

ainat

Standard Member
I see! Thanks for your reply. I thought I was missing some of the onscreen details (the upper, lower parts). I've heard that the LCD screen has larger viewable area compare to a CRT. But just because the screen ratio should be 16:9 I thought that the game should fill the whole screen be it CRT or LCD. Hopefully all next gen games will utilise the whole screen seeing that it's made with HD concept in mind this time round!

ainat

Standard Member
One more question, would the space to the left and right (the black borders) cause screenburn incase of the older generation plasma for example? Or will it cause a temporary burn for LCD? Cheers.

Spangle2k5

No screenburn will be caused by displaying plain black as no colours are illuminated to create the colour.

As for the original problem, the edges are chopped as they will be hidden on CRTs, as previous posters have said. The plus point is that the slightly smaller screen area enables the main picture to have more detail. :thumbsup:

slackbladder

Ahh..I see. I wondered why on my new Samsung DLP I could see borders. Yet on my 42" Toshiba CRT Rear Proj TV I did not. Hmm.. Didn't realise there was such a big difference between the two. Yet DVD films still fill the screen perfectly. You must lose some of the pic on a CRT screen then.

As for screenburn. I had a little on my 42" Tosh RP CRT because where the borders ended and the pic started (in 4:3 actually) it didn't quite fit. It left two very faint lines down each side where the borders were. Annoying for a while.

L

Lionheart

Spangle2k5 said:
No screenburn will be caused by displaying plain black as no colours are illuminated to create the colour.
Sorry Spangle but that is not really true...any static screen (or part of the screen) has the potential to produce screen burn (or much more likely screen retention) although modern Plasma Tvs are very resiliant to it .... however if you have an old Plasma its a good idea to check it now and then if you have anything static image of any kind for a long period of time

Spangle2k5

I stand corrected :)

Trending threads

Top Bottom