1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by eeper, Jul 29, 2004.

1. eeper

eeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick question.

Having a multi-region player, I often take advantage of the chance to buy Region 1 DVDs in the States. In the US DVDs seem to be sold in two formats, normal and widescreen. Yet in the UK we only seem to get one version.

Naturally, having a widescreen TV I always purchase the widescreen version, yet this always results in black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. This never seems to be a problem with my UK DVDs which fill the screen nicely.

So what is going on? Is the R1 DVD providing me with the "true" picture? Are the R2 DVDs cutting out some of the picture? Should my TV be set to a different mode to display the R1 DVDs?

For info I have a Sony KV28FQ70 fed by a Sony DAVS880.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    It depends on the ratio and whether the transfer is anamorphic or not.

If they are 1.78:1 anamorphic then they will fill a wide screen entirely any other ratio or non anamorphic will not, you will still get black bars top and bottom. For 1.78 non anamorphic you will need to zoom or stretch the image to fill the screen entirely, you can also do this with 2.35:1 anamorphic dvds but the image will look stretched.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    This always confuses me as I've never had a widescreen DVD fill the whole screen ! Even the ones that say "anamorphic" on them still leave the black bars top and bottom :confused:

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Just to clarify (I hope): Assuming that you have everything working and set up correctly.......

If you buy a widescreen edition of a film, then the disc will be mastered with all of the ORIGINAL WIDTH of the film on it. Films are made primarily for cinema use and can be in many different shapes. Cinemas can adjust the width of the screen (by moving curtains or masking). On a TV or video projector, you can't.

So......IF the film was originally "wider" than a widescreen TV (compared to its height) - and many are, the only way to fit its entire image into the shape of a TV is to either

a) distort it in some way or
    b) pad out the excess height with plain black.

(b) is what DVD makers actually do. (Quite right). They put black masking, on the disc, above and below the picture.

So - so long as the things in the picture are the right shape (eg circles are round, people arent too tall or fat) then nothing is wrong.

However, if circles are oval, or people aren't people-shaped, then something is wrong - most likely that you have either your DVD player or TV set incorrectly. Less likely but still possible is that the TV is maladjusted and needs service.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    or why not play them on a chipped xbox
    then you can zoom the picture in until
    the black disappears (OK so you lose the sides)

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Much like getting a Pan & Scan version, then (well, to a point). It wouldn't be my preference. But, each to their own.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,174
    Remember to make sure you have the aspect ratio on your DVD player set to Widescreen if you have it connected to a widescreen TV otherwise anamorphic titles wont take advantage of the extra screen space and you will still have black bars at the top and bottom on films where they should fill the whole screen.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    On a Widescreen TV

2.35:1 widescren = small borders top and bottom
    1.78:1 or 1.85:1 widescreen = no borders top and bottom (due to TV overscan)

If the DVD is anamophic then use wide or 16:9 mode on the TV. If the DVD is non anamporhpic then use zoom mode. Make sure the DVD player is set to 16:9 or wide.

9. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This pretty much tells you all you need to know, and gives some excellent visual examples.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html

To my understanding, the reason the US releases 2 versions (widescreen and pan&scan/fullscreen) is that many US consumers have 4:3 sets and want the film to fully fit the screen.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838

A lot of people do want that. They rather fill the screen and miss out what happens at the sides.