1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen dvd output on denon dvd 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RumNYC, Jun 19, 2005.

1. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a denon dvd 2910 connected to a Sharp LCD tv via DVI & Component. The sharp LCD can stretch or zoom only 480i/p signals (not 720p or 1080i). The most important thing for me is to not have any stretching in the picture when viewing 4:3 or widescreen dvds. From the manual of the dvd player it seems that what I want is to set my tv aspect ratio to 16:9 in the video out settings and set squeeze to OFF. However in this setting it seems the dvd player NEVER outputs widescreen--but always in 4.3 even if its a widescreen dvd--so on a widescreen tv, the picture appears with a black border on all four sides in 1080i model. If i set squeeze mode to on, then the picture appears slightly stretched. Ist it possible to have the dvd player output in widescreen without any stretching, which it should be able to do with a widescreen dvd?

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    to watch full screen I had to set the dvd player to 4:3 and squeeze-off.

to watch widescreen, i had to put the settings back. Ican't find a way to do it automatically, so I think you may be stuck with.

sorry not to be more help.

3. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RumNYC

I have a 2910 running via HDMI (720p) to a Toshiba 37"LCD and I have a similar problem but I thought it was being caused by the TV(?)...
    When I'm watching a 16:9 non-anamorphic DVD (if you have one try it - please) the picture is squashed to look like a 2:35.1 and a 2:35.1 looks a lot slimmer than that. I just can't get around this problem and have tried each and every setting on both pieces of kit, I think that it may have more to do with the TVs than with our Denons. If you find a way around this can you please post it here as I'm having to up date my DVD collection to anamorphic versions of films, which is getting costly! :lease:

4. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know its not the tv for 2 reasons. My tv doesn't allow *any* scaling in 720p or 1080i modes. Also I have HD broadcasts from by digital cable box, and 4.3 hd broadcasts show up perfectly as well as 16.9 broadcasts. My tv only allows zooming/stretching of 480i/p broadcasts.

The only way I can get those widescreen dvds to show up properly (with good picture quality AND *no* scaling) and use the full viewable area of my tv is, to switch to 4.3 letterbox mode on the DVD player and change the output format to 480p and then have my tv zoom (*NOT* stretch or s.stretch). Unfortunately, I have to change this configuration based on the dvd, and there is not auto setting. Fortunately, the 480p using the faurujda processor is exellent and I honest can't tell it apart from a upconverted 1080i picture (I use DVI).

5. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RumNYC

Thanks for the note. I've been playing with the settings. The TV will accept some nonanamorphic DVDs when the 2910 is set to 480p/576p as long as the TV is set to cinema mode (note this doesn't always work ,I can't figure out why?), the picture is pretty good but there is some blocking going on in the backgrounds. I believe that the TV's internal scaling (a Toshiba 37" which uses a Sharp panel) takes it up to 720p(?), any internal scaling isn't required when 720p or 1080i is input. It doesn't fix the problem with all my discs but it is a start, I only wish that either the player or TV would do the switching, I'm surprised that this has been overlooked. :smashin: