Widescreen CRT monitor as TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HitmanIP7, Nov 5, 2004.

1. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive been looking into getting a new widescreen CRT TV for use with my HTPC, but was thinking last night that perhaps I could get a widescreen CRT PC monitor and use that instead.

I still prefer watching DVD's and TV on a CRT.

So far Ive found one, the Sony GDM-FW900. Cheapest Ive found it new is around £1200 though!

Anyone know of any similar?

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Seen them go on ebay for about £300 before, usually the silicon graphics branded ones.

3. Gazebo2

Gazebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These monitors come up occasionally on Ebay - the last few have gone for between £100 and £500 depending on condition. Some have been by oems such as SGI & Sun, but are essentially are the same Sony model or an earlier Sony model - just search for widescreen in the monitors section. They also weigh 40kg or so, so expect to collect!!

I was thinking of one of these to replace the 22" monitor, I'm currently using, what has put me off is that they are 16:10 widescreen (or put another way 14.4:9), so displaying an undistorted 16:9 image the image would require cropping or black bands at top and bottom.

I was surprised to see that my ATI card supported at least one 16:10 resolution (1920*1200) without resorting to Powerstrip, but don't know what DVD playing software or the Nebula software would do if the signal was output at 16:10 resolution. Would any of the experts out there like to enlighten me?

Martin