1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen confusion

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gavbrad, Nov 23, 2003.

1. gavbrad

gavbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a widescreen telly and and when 16:9 is selected there are still black bars at the top and bottom of the image, but if you select auto wide then you loose them.

Also when using a DVD player some times the image is the full image of the widescreen telly and other times it has the widescreen bars on.

Can anyone shed some light onto why this is happening or point me in the right direction

Thanks

Telly : Samsung WS 24M68N
    DVD : Pioneer DV-350

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from dan666

Its because most movies are filmed with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Widescreen TVs have a screen aspect ratio of 1.85:1, so the picture gets scaled down - hence the black bars.

Good news is that when you watch a film which has been shot in 1.85:1, it will fill the screen nicely.

Dont know if anyone else has notcied, but Ive found that a lot of British films are filmed in 1.85:1.

3. gavbrad

gavbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent Thanks For The Info

4. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that widescreen TVs were 1.78:1, and thats why anamorphic transfers are on DVDs. Also didn't european film studios accept 1.85:1 as their standard, so most films from europe are filmed like this, and the americans chose 2.35:1 for their standard.

5. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4