1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen: Choice of three?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by afellwalker, Apr 4, 2005.

1. afellwalker

afellwalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Can't choose between these 3 widescreen Tv's, some help or idea's on choosing the best one would be a great help.
    1. Philips 32PW9509
    2. Panasonic TX32PD50
    3. Toshiba 32ZP48
    Thanks in advance
    afellwalker

Just noticed another thread (tv headache) same problem as me, sorry for the confusion.

2. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are all good TVs, its up to your personal choice and what you like. I buy the Panasonic for the amazing colour it produces. What do you want out of your TV?

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Panasonic would be at the top of my list if DVD playback is your highest priority. If normal analogue TV is your highest then the playing field is a little more level.

The best thing to do is to go to a decent TV (ie not Dixons, Comet etc) and view the TVs doing what you want it to do.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, without a shadow of a doubt I thoroughly recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48. Regards, yt.

5. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    My tuppence worth, I'd go for the Panny or the Tosh. Still got my Panny Tau from 6 year ago , excellent set with great pq and very reliable.

Bought a Tosh 32" recently (slightly lesser model than the one you've listed) & no complaints with it plus it's quite slim for a 32" model so if space is an issue then even better.

Never really been too impressed with Philips, have owned a couple; one was constantly dogged with problems, the other was better but pq looked too 'bright', if that makes sense.

ALI

6. handers101

handers101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, You Have The Same Trouble As Me I See, I Will Run A Tally On My Thread To Help :)

7. afellwalker

afellwalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks for all the replies, looks like the panasonic gets the nod so far.
    Found it for £639, I think that's a bargain compered to RRP.
    Thanks again
    afellwalker

I noticed the Panasonic was given 5 Stars from What HiFi Sound & Vision, but will it inherit any of the PD30 problems?

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Both the PD30 & PD50 got 5* in what hifi and whilst I do subscribe I would still take any reviews with a pinch of salt and do auditions myself.

All the TVs you have listed have known potential issues but with all of them they only effect occasional sets and it isnt something that effects everyone - therefore which ever you go for there will always be an element of luck (just the same as anything you can buy really)

9. system11

system11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of a brief summary? I'm also in the CRT market right now, can't decide between the Tosh and Panny 36s.

10. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Having owned no less than 3 sets (32") of the toshiba (all with geometry problems) i now have a panny and i have to say its fantastic. There's no doubt the tosh looks fantastic. best way is to have a good look yourself. Try to find a smaller dealer that has a demo room or 2 so you can get a decent idea. Remember to bring a dvd along with you.

good luck

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As a very very short summary - excellent all round, outstanding with dvd via component

I dont think with component prog scan inputs that the TV can be beaten - if your priority is more arround watching analogue or sky (via RGB) that it is a closer race to call with the Tosh

12. system11

system11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a Tosh 36 and Panny 36 at the weekend, the Panny had slightly dodgy geometry, Tosh had quite a bit of overscan - did the review mention geometry at all?