1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

widescreen camcorders

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dexter, Dec 2, 2004.

1. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone recommend a camcorder (the cheapoer the better!) that records in 16/9. I know one of the Sony DVD camcorders does - but the advice seems to be to steer clear of dvd camcorders. Are there any widescreen miniDV models out there?

2. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have the Sony DCRPC100 which records in 16:9 depends if you want new or would be happy with previously owned. FWIW

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well none of the consumer camcorders currently do full resolution widescreen recording. Some of the new Sony models have 'true widescreen' that uses a slightly wider CCD that crops top & bottom for 16:9 and crops left & right for 4:3 which seems to be the best compromise at the moment as very little quality is lost for either format. All camcorders will do basic 16:9 recording, but many will crop a large section of the CCD so a fair bit of resolution is lost.

Mark.

4. griff_av

griff_av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if quality is an issue you might want to look at hiring an anamorphic lens >

http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/dv/16x9/16x9.htm

which will squash the 16:9 image onto the full area of the 4:3 CCD you would then have to use software or a company to process the recorded image back to 16:9 for editing

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Look at the Sony HC40 this is the replacement model for my TRV33 and aeven though it is not quite as good as the TRV33 should be worth investigating.

One thing though - mine uses more CCD for 16x9 so would look worse with an anamorphic lens

6. Quilgy

Quilgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My Canon MVX3i uses an anamorphic process to achieve the 16:9 image. It does it very well too with no discernible loss of picture quality compared to capturing in 4:3, and full height (576) frame - i.e. - no letterboxing

At first I thought it did this using an onboard anamorphic lens, but it is actually electronic, using a similar technique to what Mark said.

I have seen the Sony DCR-HC4OE reviewed very favourably (in Digital Home magazine)