Widescreen broadcasts & logo placement

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is not the end of the world or anything, but having just entered the world of widescreen tv, i've noticed that the channel logos are now placed nearer to the top-centre of the screen. I can understand the reason for this - to allow for its placement on a 4:3 screen - but wouldnt you think the bods at skydigital would be clever enough to allow for user preference (system settings) of either 16:9 or 4:3, and shift the logo accordingly. Although i hate logos full-stop, i much prefered it when it was placed in the corner, out of the way a bit more.

Dean

Channel idents are generated at the broadcast source and the digibox had no control of them.
The interactive logos that are generated by the digibox should adjust themselves to suit the display ratio being used.

Bottom line, the subscription and license fee payers are of secondary importance when compared to the marketing bods at virtually every UK broadcaster and we are all ignored when it comes to what the advertisers want/desire/demand!

An extreme solution: set the STB to 4:3 P&S mode, and select the zoom picture mode on the TV. Logos are gone!

(But so have the top and bottom bits of the screen..)

*UPDATE*

Heres something interesting to do with my initial thread question. On 'E4' the other night, they were showing a program called 'Teachers' (dont watch it or the channel, but was flicking through), and i noticed that the broadcast was in proper widescreen format (16:9, not stetched etc), and yet the 'E4' logo was tucked right up in the left-hand corner. I'll have to check next time on the tv upstairs (4:3) and see if the logo is in the same place.

Dean

Yep seen that before on E4, they put the logo in the correct place for a 16:9 broadcast which means it's not shown (Or most of it anyway) when viewed with a 4:3 setting on a digibox.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom