widescreen banner?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by teresalondon, Dec 29, 2004.

1. teresalondon

teresalondon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have seen other posters on this forum saying panasonic e55 dosent record widescreen banner what does this mean? if i record a program shown on sky
    and its wide screen will its still play back on my standard tv the way its seen?
    i havent got a widescreen tv?

thanks

teresa

im going to buy the e 55 in john lewis £200 with 2 year gaurantee

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The Panasonic - along with many major brand machines - does not record the widescreen switching signal onto DVD-R (it does when recording to DVD-RAM). This means for anamorphic widescreen material it will record it 'as is' and you'll need to use the 16:9/Widescreen button on your TV to push it back to shape - it won't happen automatically like it normally does.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    At the moment your Sky box will be set up for a normal 4:3 television, so any recordings you currently make on DVD will not be widescreen anyway. So no problems there.

If you have in mind buying a widescreen TV some time in the near future you may be thinking of making widescreen DVDs now, to eventually get the best from a 16:9 TV.
    In this case you would find that DVD-R widescreen recordings made on the E55 would not make the new TV switch automatically to widescreen mode. However this is not a real problem because you will be able to switch any such TV manually.

It gets slightly worse if trying to view any of your widescreen DVD-Rs on your present 4:3 TV. Unless the TV has a 16:9 mode which vertically squashes the picture you will be watching lots of tall thin people. :)

Having said all this it is a great machine and I should also say that any recordings made on DVD-RAM do not have the above limitations.