1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

widescreen auto-switching

Discussion in 'TVs' started by R N M, Apr 10, 2003.

1. R N M

R N M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the widescreen TV I have, once the DVD machine is set to 16:9 output, the television auto-switches to everything from the player as 16:9. Only 16:9 flagged pictures should be auto-swtiched to, but it does everything! Perhaps the machine is sending out the 16:9 flag itself instead of the information contained on the disks.

Am I right in thinking that if you've just watched a 16:9 disk, and then put a 4:3 in (or go from a 16:9 movie to a 4:3 extra), then the TV should switch to 4:3 and then back again if another 16:9 disk is put in? It never auto-switches to 4:3

I have the full auto-swithing enabled on my TV, but it only seems to respond when the EXT1 channel is first tuned into. Once on, it will stay in the same screen format unless I manually change it.

Even if I put a 4:3 disk in, the TV auto-switches to 16:9 as soon as I turn over to EXT1. I can't get 4:3 unless I choose it myself via the remote. This is really annoying me!

2. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of TV is it? I have a Philips that does something similar with my Acoustic Solutions DVD. It's really bad sometimes because sometimes it will not stay on 4:3 even when I change it. It just switches back to widescreen, but sometimes it does stay 4:3 and I don't know why.

The Philips is odd anyway in that it doesn't seem to have a specific Auto mode. Sometimes it stays in one ratio, other times it will switch and I haven't worked out the definitive reason.

The only way to guarantee that I can watch 4:3 in the right ratio is to change the DVD settings to say I have a 4:3 TV, but that's a pain to change every time.

Luckily I don't have a lot of 4:3 DVD. It's mostly extras like Matrix Revisited or the Close Encounters 2nd DVD.