1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen auto select on 4:3 TV...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Dazed, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this query should be in here - moderators please feel free to move it.

Since purchasing my DVD player I have a video>telewest digital cable box>DVD player daisy chained into the RGB scart socket of my TV - a philips 21" 4:3. To get the best out of my DVD player I purchased a QED SQUART.

Now on certain programs like Farscape (gutted it's finished:( ) and buffy my TV displays a widescreen picture with black borders top and bottom. This only happened after I connected everything together with the QED SQUART (this being the final link into my TV) - or maybe I only really noticed it then. Not really bothered about the new aspect ratio but I'm curious about why it's happening.

2. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    recently done the same, ugraged to scart from the coax arile type connection.
    i have set my box to widescreen now, instead of letterbox as it was before, this meant the box will tell thew tv when a widescreen signal is being sent via scart and the tv will adjust to widescreen format automatically.
    is you dont want this to happen, select letterbox to give a letterbox output fomr the box, or select 4:3 which will give a normal 4:3 picture but will cut off the sides from widescreen program (like farscape)
    sorry this seems abit rushed and others will be able to explain it better, but im quite busy at the moment.

ps. so was that the end of farscape then? they were on the boat and they ***********:( (you know what happnes dont want to spoil it for others) :rotfl:

3. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks apul, however nothing has really changed except the addition of a better the squart over some btech (?) ones and putting in my DVD player in line ahead of my STB. All the STB settings remained the same - RGB and 4:3 output. Kind of a bit confused here.

Re: Farscape I checked the BBC farscape page and apparently there is a campaign to get them to do a fifth series - which is how long it was intended to run or make a movie - probably a TVM - which will rap up the story.

I'm bereft no more Claudia Black in all that leather Peace Keeper gear :( :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/farscape/

4. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only guessing here because i don't have telewest,but is there some option in the telewest box menu for scart control.If there is try changing it to see if that helps.

johnski