1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wideangle Convertor Lens

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lurcher, Aug 9, 2005.

1. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Anyone got any experience of these as add on to DV cam ?
    Got a Panasonic GS120 but its not wide enough to film the inside of my car from Headrest mount.
    The listed Panasonic one is over £100 and I was wondering what the third party ones were like . Any recommends or ones to avoid.

There is a possibility that I may purchase an additional camcorder for this application but the lens would need to be wider than normal - any suggestions.
    Are all camorders similar lens size at the wide end ?

TIA

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Although I've never personally used an add on wide angle lens I have recommended them from Here in the past to others on this forum and they have always been happy with the results. Just check the thread size of the lens on your camcorder to check your choosen lens will fit.

In most cases camcorders tend to be supplied with a high powered zoom but not a wide angle lens. I assume that in most cases people want to be able to see the hairs on the back of a fly, but don't want to see complete interior of a car. Due to the way a zoom lens works, the longer the range the lower the quality of the image, so makers tend to go more towards the higher zoom.

Mark.

3. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Thanks Mark , for £50 I think its worth a shot,

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I used to use one years ago.

Great for tight interiors and sweeping landscapes but VERY unflattering on people.

Basically they make things look a lot bigger (longer) than what they really are.
    They use em all the time on TV.

Use sparingly.

5. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Just an update , I managed to but one from ebay - a Sony VCL-HGO737X for under £50. Its a quality conversion lens weighing in at 14oz and I"ve used it on My Panasonic DV camcorder this morning filming driving lessons.
    It gives good results in tight spaces.