1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wide zoom vs full

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by whoopdido, May 1, 2005.

1. whoopdido

whoopdido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone. I've tried to find the answer to this question on some other forums and haven't been successful. I also did a quick search on this forum but still couldn't find what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I have a Sony XBR KV-34XBR800 HD television set and I'm trying to find the best mode to watch movies in. The options are: normal, zoom, wide zoom and full. I know I don't want normal at least for anamorphic widescreen movies and zoom is out as well, so that leaves wide zoom or full. I've been told to use both options. For the record my dvd player is set to 16:9.

I'm just not sure what mode to use and it's bugging me because as I'm watching a movie I find myself switching between the 2 modes trying to find the best picture. For example I was watching Jurassic Park today and I did some comparisons when the Brachiosauraus first appears. In wide zoom mode the very top of the dinosaur's head seems to get cut off, but in full mode the picture seems a little stretched and the people sort of look fat. Can anybody give me a definitive answer as to what mode I should use when I'm watching an anamorphic widescreen movie? Thanks for any replies.

2. whoopdido

whoopdido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Whoopdido,

Sorry you haven't had a specific reply, but this topic has been covered many times on the Forum.

Suggest you do a more thorough search.

I also see you are in the USA, but this is a UK based Forum so I doubt that anyone will be familiar with your particular Sony.

Happy viewing! :thumbsup:

4. whoopdido

whoopdido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know this was a UK forum, but I guess all I had to do was look at the top of the screen. I did do a search but couldn't find anything. Maybe somebody could just give me an answer and then this stupid bloody yank can go away. :D

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Whoopdido,

If you do an advanced search for "aspect" in this section of the Forum, there's lots of information, particularly in the post about the Lord of the Rings starting on 12/19/04 (American date!).

Best wishes to all across the pond. :thumbsup: