Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Wide Screen LCD panals and subtitles - Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fredfred, Sep 11, 2002.

1. fredfred

fredfred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a 800x600 projector I can display Japanese subtitles off screen (16x9 movie) in the black bars at the bottom of the screen when I select 4:3 mode on my DVD player. This has two advantages 1) Subtitle free picture 2) The subtitle are easier to read with the black background.

My question is: Is there any adjustment on wide screen LCD projectors that allows you do the same thing without reverting to the 4:3 mode, which would defeat the purpose of buying a wide screen LCD in the first place. I have see it done on a 16x9 TV, my friend used the remote to select full Widescreen anamorphic - 2.35:1 (many of my Japanese DVD's have both 16x9 and Wide Screen 2.35:1) which creates the black bars for the subtitles. Can you do the same with the Panasonic TH-AE100? or any other projector while still mantaining a correct aspect ratio?

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    Good question!

the panasonic AE100 will allow you to use a 'wide' mode, which behaves the same as a widescreen TV. Set your DVD player up as 16:9 and it'll output properly.

But I don't know where subtitles go. Can anyone help here? On a 2.35:1 movie, are the subtitles in the black bars? I suppose then you couldn't mask off the screen.

On 1.85:1 movies, I suppose the subtitles would be overlaid on the picture.