1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wide(r)screen (14:3) gone wider?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Joe Pineapples, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Is it my imagination, or have the 14:3 broadcasts (most stuff on terrestrial tv now), gone slightly wider - ie, on a 4.3 tv, the black bars reach further into the screen.

If this is the case, then maybe its been done as a transitional stage, towards eventual full 16:9 support - which i personally would endorse.

dean

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    :confused: 14:3 that's very wide, do you mean 14:9?

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    hehe.....probably - whatever the norm was/is - i knew it started with 14 at least :)

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    I think they started doing the 14:9 round about 6 years ago at the time I noticed it on a female private detective series(use to be on Sunday night) I was told that they was using this format so it would not seem to 4:3 viewers that too much of the picture was missing, yet if the series were repeated at a later date when 16:9 had fully arrive they could frame the 14:9 to 16:9 with very little of the original picture going missing.
    Also they broadcast many programs on terrestrial in the 14:9 and simultaneously over the digital medium in 16:9 for some of the above reasons, (16:9 getting the total picture this time).
    I have noticed the local BBC new has just gone over to the 14:9 format, yet it is not transmitted digitally (well on Sky at least).

5. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright chaps...

14x9 is a compromised 'letter-box' picture format for programmes shot 16x9 (widescreen) that will be shown on 4x3 analogue TV sets. When they originally showed progs as 16x9 letterbox (i.e. thick black bars at top and bottom) they got a few complaints about having less actual picture so they developed 14x9 which is a sort of half-way house with smaller black bars but you lose some information at the sides.
    14x9 transmissions don't exist for digital tv as any picture letterboxing for anyone with 4x3 sets is done by your set top box and the pictures sent to you are 'anamorphic' (unletterboxed 16x9).
    I do notice however that you sometimes you get widescreen pictures on digital tele that have black bars at the sides...this is down to having 4x3 shot programmes (e.g. news) reformatted to fit the 16x9 format as best as possible but losing a bit of information at the top and bottom of the picture. This seems a relatively new thing.

Hope this makes sense!!:smashin:

6. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    14:9 will still be around until analogue is switched off, that is a long way off.

Most widescreen material is actually shot for 14:9 action safe, and sometimes it has to be 4:3 safe as well if it's going to be sold in the USA.

You should watch on a digibox if you want true full height anamorphic pictures to show on a widescreen tellly.

Pillarbox is the accepted term for black bars down the sides of the picture.

Ciao for now. :)