• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

"Wide angle" photos. . .

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Hey everyone,

I have a Canon SX30is and it has a "30 time zoom wide angle lense". I presume wide angle photos are widescreen as they get more of the peripheral in? I'm just wondering how I get to that mode. . .or are any photos that aren't zoomed in at all wide angle?

Sorry if I'm being a douche :):)

shotokan101

Banned
Hey everyone,

I have a Canon SX30is and it has a "30 time zoom wide angle lense". I presume wide angle photos are widescreen as they get more of the peripheral in? I'm just wondering how I get to that mode. . .or are any photos that aren't zoomed in at all wide angle?

Sorry if I'm being a douche :):)

Yes the wide angle mode is achieved when the lens is at it's shortest focal length - completely "unzoomed" :)

Jim

RobDickinson

30 * zoom just refers to the longest focal length fivided by the shortest.

So your camera with 24mm at the wide end will have 720mm at the long end ( perhaps including digital zoom).

(Note these are 35mm frame equivalent focal lengths not the real ones)

deantown

Distinguished Member
I have the same camera. I found out how wide the pictures were when reviewing a picture I had taken in a street in New York I pressed the left and right buttons and was amazed how much off the street scene was captured. Love the camera and It has a great zoom as well.

shotokan101

Banned
I have the same camera. I found out how wide the pictures were when reviewing a picture I had taken in a street in New York I pressed the left and right buttons and was amazed how much off the street scene was captured. Love the camera and It has a great zoom as well.

Do you mean that it doesn't display a widescreen image on the LCD - you have to scroll ? :confused:

Jim

Soundburst

In Memoriam
All the photo's display full screen for me on the LCD.

I don't think any photo's I've taken have been widescreen. . .they're all standard I think

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom