Wide Angle Lens

SilverGamer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all, now Christmas is over I'm starting my research into the first additional lens for the new camera. I know I will use wide-angle a lot more than telephoto, so this is where I'm starting. This lens will be aimed at indoor shots, outdoor, landscape and as a great general all-rounder. It will be mounted on a Sony A65 and I don't want to buy a lens that suffers from distortion, eg "fisheye".

Having seen many photo's taken on the Sigma 10-20mm and read a few reviews this seems like a good starting place.

Are there any other options you'd recommend ? And why do there seem to be no very wide angle prime lenses ?

10-20, 10-24, 11-16, 8-16.

10-20, 10-24, 11-16, 8-16.

Not sure where the 11-16 fits in but the rest all seem to be Sigmas. With all the Prime Sigma Lenses anything below 20mm seems to be of a fisheye design, which is a shame but sure there's a good reason.

The 8-16 seems to be substantially more expensive than the 10-20 and also offers only F4.5 as opposed to F3.5 which I would believe makes a reasonably appreciable difference in low light.?

10-24 again goes to F4.5, is more expensive and moves further into a range I can already cover with the stock lens.

10-24 Tamron or Nikon
11-16 Tokina
Rest Sigma.

I wouldnt use a wide angle in low light, mostly intended for smaller apertures, F8 onwards. Youre pretty much always going to have overlap unless you choose standard lenses, its one of those things.

The 8-16 also offers 2mm wider coverage which at this focal range is a lot. 10-24 offers a slightly more versatile lens.

With that thinking you could say Ill go for a 10-20 because theres less overlap, well going for a 10-24 may mean less switching of lenses.

BTW 10-20 comes in 2 different versions, not just the 3.5.

BTW 10-20 comes in 2 different versions, not just the 3.5.

True, the F4 version seems to be £100 cheaper (list price), I haven't compared both fully yet, but will later. Because of the certain low-light usage both indoors and out I'm drawn to the F3.5 if the difference is appreciable.

Any recommendations for places to purchase lenses from / is there still the same issues over "import" lenses that exists with cameras ?

Id go Tokina 11-16 if youre concerned about low light.

I wouldnt use a wide angle in low light, mostly intended for smaller apertures, F8 onwards.

Ok - this potentially spoils the party here then as it would definitely get used lots in low light indoors and outside on an evening. If it's not useful for that then it's a no-go.

Any other suggestions ?

Use a tripod, buildings aren't very fast runners.

Ok - this potentially spoils the party here then as it would definitely get used lots in low light indoors and outside on an evening. If it's not useful for that then it's a no-go.

Any other suggestions ?

Tokina 11-16mm its F2.8

Ultrawides distort people heavily, they arent meant for portraiture if thats the plan, if its meant for indoor architecture, youll use a tripod anyway for DOF so F3.5 or F4.5 will make no difference.

May need a rethink about what youd like to achieve.

Last edited:
Use a tripod, buildings aren't very fast runners.

This is true, and a possibility, but..

I'm just not that serious a photographer that I'm going to be carrying a Tripod around everywhere with me, especially on holiday at night. There are definitely times and places I will have it, but the majority of the time I want tech that helps me, not needing to hire a sherpa to follow along :smashin:

Monopod

Use a ultrawide during the day and a Sigma 30mm 1.4 at night. Done.

Tokina 11-16mm its F2.8

Ultrawides distort people heavily, they arent meant for portraiture if thats the plan, if its meant for indoor architecture, youll use a tripod anyway for DOF so F3.5 or F4.5 will make no difference.

May need a rethink about what youd like to achieve.

Perhaps I do need that rethink. I've always used cameras indoors and wished for a greater field of vision than I generally have, eg try taking pictures of your new bathroom when it's an average size.

And when I was in Vegas a few weeks back I was desperate for a great quality camera to take pictures at night and a wide enough angle to get more into any video footage I took too. All this would not normally involve a tripod.

I wasn't thinking of using this as a primary lens for use at parties, but if it makes people look 12ft wide (non Americans) then I obviously need to be aware of the limitations.

Thanks guys.

Does the above help ?

This is true, and a possibility, but..

I'm just not that serious a photographer that I'm going to be carrying a Tripod around everywhere with me, especially on holiday at night. There are definitely times and places I will have it, but the majority of the time I want tech that helps me, not needing to hire a sherpa to follow along :smashin:

What is it that you'll be photographing?

Sounds like you'll be getting the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

I plan my night time shooting and carry a monopod with my Sigma 10-20mm, the Manfrotto 682B one with legs, doubles as a tripod for shots that need a very slow shutter.

Manfrotto 682B Self Standing Monopod: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

*however I have yet to go out with my shiny new A77 and try multi-shot NR.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
OR

Sigma 10-20 used = £250
New 50mm 1.8 = £70 - £100

twist said:
OR

Sigma 10-20 used = £250

Or abit wider the 35mm 1.8 can be had at Argos for £120 if you can find one in stock. I find the 50mm a little long indoors

I like my 8-16 those 2mm extra really does make it WIIIIDDDDDEEE :) But not really a portrait lens or for parties tbh...And I do have the 30mm 1.4 as well and that is brilliant in low light and for people.

OR

Sigma 10-20 used = £250

At around that I'd be tempted to sell him my 10-20 and put it toward the 8-16mm. :D

I don't find ultrawides too bad in low light as the shorter focal lengths give you a bit more depth of field and also make it easier to hand hold at lower shutter speeds although it's not a lens I'd use specifically for low light as a wide aperture prime is definitely the way to go there if the focal length is suitable. The extreme distortion can be a challenge to work with as it can produce some very strange effects which is not very flattering when people are caught up in the distortion. In general I really enjoy using wide angle lenses as they give such a unique view but the usefulness varies from person to person.

John

Something else to throw into the mix.

Sigma 20mm f/1.8

Not very wide on a crop sensor, but excellent in low light and little distortion. Very close focusing as well.

Lots to think about, thanks everyone for the input, so the choices seem to come down to (in no order at all) :-

• Sigma 10-20 F3.5
  • Tokina 11-16 F2.8
  • 50mm 1.8 Prime
  • 30mm 1.8 Prime
I'm not in any desperate rush to buy anything straight away so I can play a little more with the stock lens and see what I then fancy adding.

The Prime lenses are very tempting due to the much lower F rating, weight saving, space saving and cost. Of those listed the 30mm seems more logical.

Are there any good places I look to purchase Lenses from ? I also have family visiting the US in a few weeks so that may be useful if I opted to buy something expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom