Wide angle lens converter for Panasonic HDC-SD200 (or similar)

carol_s

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried one of the wide angle converters such as the ones available on ebay for around £18? or do I have to go up to the £150 mark for the Panasonic model??

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Did you manage to get one? I have the same camera and would like a wide angle lens.

I bought one off ebay recently from a UK supplier : £20 including postage.
"UK 43mm WIDE ANGLE LENS FOR PANASONIC NV-GS500 NV-GS400"

The general quality seems very good. I haven't used it much yet, but so far the image quality when using it seems OK on my HDC-HS20.
A bonus (which I haven't tried yet) is that the rear element of the lens can be used alone as a macro/close focus adaptor.

I bought one off ebay recently from a UK supplier : £20 including postage.
"UK 43mm WIDE ANGLE LENS FOR PANASONIC NV-GS500 NV-GS400"

The general quality seems very good. I haven't used it much yet, but so far the image quality when using it seems OK on my HDC-HS20.
A bonus (which I haven't tried yet) is that the rear element of the lens can be used alone as a macro/close focus adaptor.

Thanks for the info.

Just a couple of questions, can you zoom with the wide angle? I assume not but there are some models that allow you to - not sure how. Also, it says that it is 43mm, is it true 43mm or does it have a converter from a larger size down to the 43mm. The reason I ask is that I'm trying to find one that is not too bulky.

This is the ad I found - Ebay Link

Thanks again
Jason

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes - you can still zoom fine with the wideangle adaptor in place.

It is true 43mm on the back of the "macro lens" part.
The front element is about 64mm diameter, so it looks much bigger than the Sony W/A adaptors (which start off with a much smaller thread on the camera).
There is a filter thread in front of the front element, which will take a 62mm filter.

The link you give points to the place that I bought mine from. Recommended.

Further on the wide-angle adaptor :-

When the adaptor is attached and the camera zoomed out to the tele end, the outer edges of the picture go soft (the central portion is still crystal clear).

In some circumstances this could be an anoyance, but mostly it enhances the image as the main subject is highlighted by the sharp central focus.

You don't really see the effect on the little camera screen,so there's nothing to remind you to take the adaptor off if you want full-screen sharpness.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom