Wide angle lens advice

steven_9709

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a Nikon d90/d5100 and am looking for a wide angle lens for them.

Research seems to indicate that the Nikon AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Lens is the one to go for, but at around £630 it's quite pricey

Other recommended lens is the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at a much more reasonable £350

So, would be interested to hear peoples views on the two. Is the Nikon really worth the extra money? What are your experiences of the two?

Sigma 10-20mm was a good lens on my Sony. Second-hand about £250, sell it if you aren't happy, you'll probably get your money back or incur a tiny loss.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Excuse the stupid question, but I notice that both of the lenses I'm looking at don't have VR or Image Stabiliation. Will they be ok to shoot with hand held or will I need a tripod?

I've certainly got no complaints about the Sigma 10-20mm on Sony - well built and nice sharp good performing great value lens

Jim

I have the sigma 10-20 on my d5100, it's a great lens, I don't miss the VR at all to be honest. It's a nice sharp lens that allows for a bit of creativity.

If buying used and you need autofocus in live view, look for serial numbers above 226****. Earlier models would only autofocus in the viewfinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 12-24 and I'm very pleased with it. If you can keep an eye on the classified section then you might get what you need for a decent price. I wouldn't buy a new one though.

I don't believe any of the Nikon mount wide angles have VR save for the uber-expensive Nikon 16-35 f4....

The Sigma 10-20 is a good lens I've had a few over the years and been impressed, especially considering its price.

The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is also a very good lens, more expensive fair enough but its a constant f2.8 so good in low light.

The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is also a very good lens, more expensive fair enough but its a constant f2.8 so good in low light.
I've seen comparison pictures somewhere on the 'net where the 11-16 bested the 10-20 by some margin, being sharper across the whole image.

I've got one myself; the build quality is excellent, focusing is quick, it's pin-sharp from f2.8 upwards... It's one of my favourite lenses :)

Audition one if you can! Yes, the 11-16 range is a quite short so it can effectively be a bit like shooting with a Prime lens, but it does make more difference than you'd perhaps expect between 11mm and 16mm. (I'm on a crop body, though, so I imagine the effect is amplified.)

This post has some pics from the 11-16 in it:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/19032245-post672.html
I shot most of them using it, bar 3991 and 4020-4036.

You'll love it. I had one with my Sony DSLR and it produced very impressive, sharp images images. Excellent lens

Thanks all for the comments...I have a sigma 10-20 being delivered later this week :)

I use the sigma 10-20 on my D5100 and it is very sharp, a great lens which I use a lot, it was particularly useful in Tuscany at Pisa etc giving some creativity and perspective.

Cheers

Do you find that there's quite a lot of distortion at 10mm? Wondering if that's normal or whether I've got a dud one...

Only if you are VERY close to a subject

Only if you are VERY close to a subject

+1 10mm on APS-C is basically Fisheye territory (15mm) so close focussed images will show most distortion - especially if not shot completely perpendicular to the subject :)

+1 10mm on APS-C is basically Fisheye territory (15mm) so close focussed images will show most distortion - especially if not shot completely perpendicular to the subject :)

Though note a fisheye lens is quite different to a rectilinear lens which the sigma is. They will not give the same results, and the sigma only has a very low level of real distortion (1.5%).

10mm_distortion.png

You can force perspective distortions easily but it is a rectilinear lens.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom