1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wide Angle Convertor Lens

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lurcher, Oct 14, 2005.

1. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Hi,
    I have a Sony 37mm W/A convertor lens that I use with my Panasonic NVGS 120 with excellent results. The lens model is VCL-HGO737X.
    I have just purchased a JVC MG 50 camcorder and require a similar wide angle facility.
    The JVC filter size is 30.5mm. Had a look on ebay etc and there isn"t much available in this size, however several 37mm are available with step up/down rings to 30.5mm.
    Will I get vignetting if I go this route or will I be okay ?
    Looking for a fairly lightweight adapter to compliment this camcorder.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a step UP ring (from 30.5 to 37) you *should* be OK and avoid any vignetting.

It is using a step DOWN ring with a wide angle lens which will give problems.

ring size adapters are named as camera thread >> lens thread so a step up has a male thread smaller than the female thread, and a step down has a male thread larger than the female end.

3. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    BJC,
    Thanks for that , I"ll get a step up as you suggested and try it with my sony w/a lens and see how that goes.

4. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Went into 2 jessops on Sat , neither of them did the 30.5/37/mm step up ring saying it was discontinued.
    Anyway I took a chance and bought a Raynox DVR -5000 0.5x Wide Angle Convertor.
    The filter size is 37mm and comes with adapter rings inc a 30.5mm one.
    The assistant assured me that I would experience no vignetting at the wide angle so I bought it confirming I could return same.
    The lens does suffer from vignetting when useing the 30.5mm adapter connected to a JVC MG50 camcorder.
    When I attach the lens direct to my Panasonic GS120 there are no problems.
    Interestingly when I attach the Sony 37mm lens via the 30.5mm adapter to the JVC camcorder there is no vignetting.
    Taking the Raynox back to Jessops this week.

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    BJC,
    Wonder if it was anything to do with the step up ring being a cheap plastic job ?
    Then again it worked ok with my Sony w/a lens but not the Raynor which is a cheaper construction alltogether.
    Will try it with a metal step up as advised before I take it back.
    Thanks for the link.

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought you would just take the Raynor back complete with ring and then just buy a new ring to use with your existing Sony converter.