Wide Angle Converters. What is Your Experience/Views.

Oldsilverfox

Standard Member
I've just purchased a 46mm x 0.7 wide angle converter for my Panasonic HDC-SD600, for an application requiring filming in a restricted space in the near future.
Have other forum members used these and what experience have they found? Does the image quality vary between manufacturers (mine is a Sony) given that the captured image is meant to be in HD.
I see that Panasonic and Canon also produce these converters, are they any better?
Thanks in advance for any input

DolbyDan

Check youtube buddy. My £4 ebay 2x telephoto was very poor, major blur around edges. Going to try the ebay seller who I got my very decent filters from as they guarantee no distortion and good light levels, £20 for 2x telephoto and 0.4x wide-angle. If they are rubbish I'll go for a brand.

riccojames

Standard Member
DolbyDan said:
Check youtube buddy. My £4 ebay 2x telephoto was very poor, major blur around edges. Going to try the ebay seller who I got my very decent filters from as they guarantee no distortion and good light levels, £20 for 2x telephoto and 0.4x wide-angle. If they are rubbish I'll go for a brand.

What were the results you had with the others?

lurcher

Used many over the years , best for me were Sony HGO/VCL series , HGO being the better quality/design/optics, I am told Century make have good press but expensive, forget the cheap stuff.

Julian

mikethelaserman

My £20 "no brand" wideangle converter from ebay works a treat.
Hard to imagine that anything from Panasonic or Sony could be any better.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Let's see the "before/after" effects on some detailed subject, eg a building with brick walls.

Oddly,. I'd expect the Brand/Price (tend to be linked!) would tell all.
However, whether it's Sony/Pana etc. matters little unless it's designed for a specific lens.....
my NEX5 has a "pancake" f/2.8 16mm WA lens option and only that takes two adaptors: a 0.75 WA conversion, giving a 35mm eq about 16mm (that's seriously wide!), and a little more expensive, £100 a "fish-eye" which is somewhat shorter...this is likely to be used only for special effects as it's pretty useless IMHO, but might suit an arty sequence (Although many editors can wreck decent footage, if you want).

If you've not paid much then don't expect brilliant optics.
However, supplimentary lenses are NEVER that good, since they are attempting to bend the light that the camera receives and lenses are designed to receive near-parallel light. That said they may get a shot that's impossible any other way (unless a first-surface mirror is available!), but the great feature of video, is that you can pan. and this means everyone gets in the picture....and pans don't increase the amount of sky, so the exposure is better.
Wideangles make the subject smaller and the sky bigger....beware!

That's my thoughts.....FWIW.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom