Wicker Man (New 3 Disc SE)

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Simon6776, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  2. SGR2005

SGR2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    That's the cheapest, I think.

It's might be worth bearing in mind though that the third disc is the score/soundtrack, not a disc of extras. It also looks to be missing some special features (interview, TV spot, radio spot) from the 2 disc original, and there are no new extras.

So for twice the price of the 2 disc edition (or a lot more - I paid £2.99 for the original), you're not getting a whole lot more.

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmm... (sound of wheels turning in brain)... well, I haven't got any other versions. I did realise that Disc 3 is the CD soundtrack, but didn't realise that there were extras missing from a previous edition. I'm not particularly interested in the CD, so which is the best version to go for?

4. SGR2005

SGR2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm not 100% that the extras are missing, but they aren't listed in the extras on display at Play.com, and the new release is from a different company (Optimum, as opposed to Anchor Bay), so it's likely that they couldn't get the rights to all the extras from the old release.

If you don't really want the soundtrack, then the 2 Disc Anchor Bay Special Edition is the way to go - it has all the extras from this new release (bar the soundtrack), and is also less than half the price.

Foxy.co.uk have it for £4.95 here: http://www.foxy.co.uk/catalogue/dvd/67704/Wicker+Man/

SilverScreen did have it for £2.99 instore at one point, but I'm not sure if they still do.

5. SGR2005

SGR2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    On closer inspection, according to DVDTimes.co.uk, the 3 disc edition has a 50 minute documentary that isn't on the original.

Also listed is a Christopher Lee & Robert Hardy interview from 1973, but I'm unsure if this is the same as the 25 min Lee interview on the original set.

There's also a new 'Making of The Commentary' feature, along with a few trailers for other films (Cronos, Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man remake).

But it's also short the TV and Radio Spots from the original.

So there is some new stuff, but personally I'm not sure if it justifies paying over twice the price for the documentary. Might be worth picking up when it drops to below £5-6 though.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK, thanks. Food for thought. :)

7. Axemeister

Axemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I wasn't going to bother with the 3 disc version as I had the 2 disc already - except I've just opened the case and the theatrical cut is missing! Very odd - the curse of the Wicker Man strikes again! Looks like I'm going to have get the 3 discer after all!
    I'm sure I've seen other documentaries on TV which aren't on the discs. Burnt Offering has been shown a few times, but I'm sure I've seen others - was there a doc on the old VHS version?

8. Axemeister

Axemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bensons have put the price up. HMV have it online for £11.99, or for £1 more you can have it in a hessian cover! Anywhere cheaper?