1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wich screen do you recommend for Sanyo Z2? Black level is my convern

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by booker, May 16, 2005.

1. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m going to get the Sanyo Z2 and i know it don´t has a good reputation for Black levels, i want to make them more black than normal without getting the picture too dimm.

Any recomendation? i was thinking of some Gray screen, but wich Gain should be?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's always a compromise. A grey screen will result in darker "blacks" at the expense of brightness/punch.

I'd suggest a matte white 1 gain screen - the Z2 isn't really bright enough for a grey screen. Just make sure your room is dark.

You could then try some filters to reduce overall black level but these again will reduce the brightness. At least these are relatively inexpensive, unlike grey screens ;) .

:smoke:

3. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i guess this is what i´m going to do.

I guess i´ll try to find a balance with a withe mate and a filter..

thanks

Any particular screen do you recommend?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Some grey screens have a gain, so they don't lose the punch a grey screen with less than unity gain will (some are only 0.8 gain). Da-Lite do a 1.1 gain High Contrast Cinema Vision material that may fit the bill.

As Kramer has suggested, using a filter such as an ND filter will be cheaper and easier to do, plus you can remove it as the lamp dims with age, so you get some brightness back later on down the line. An ND2 will reduce the lumens by half, and ND4 will reduce it by 3/4. I don't think you can get ND1 filters, but you can get it as gels, so if you get one of those you'll have to tape it to the lens. If your Z2 has a green/blue tint, then an fl-day may help to correct it, and it won't reduce the lumens as much as an ND2 will.

Most matt white screens are much the same, it's the frame that may bump up the cost. Anything with gain such as 1.2 or 1.3 I would look for recommendations from current owners. Beamax make a nice range of fixed screens with a gain of 1.2 so they may be worth a look (amongst others).

Gary.