1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wich miniDV tapes do you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Benfica, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Sony DCR-PRC330 miniDV camcorder and was thinking what are the best miniDV tapes to buy.

Can you all please advice me ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

PS: I usually don't record over and over the tapes. I record once (twice if for some reason I didn't like what I've filmed) and then intend to keep those tapes "forever", as a backup.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I have a Sony camcorder that was supplied with several Sony DV tapes. For that reason I only use Sony tapes (see below).

It is recommended that you stick to only 1 make of DV tape as they all use different coatings that will rub off onto the heads. If the coatings mix they can clogg the heads resulting in an expensive repair.
    Many companies buy in their tapes and just stick their badge on them. Unless you know for sure who does this then stick to the same make to be safe.

Mark.

3. w4yne

w4yne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone know which companies do this ? I am using a pack of Fuji tapes at the moment do I need to get the same again next time or are they re -branded ?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The only one I know for sure is that Sony do make their own tapes.

You quoted the part of my post that I would have stated to you again: basically if in doubt stick to the same make of DV tapes.

Mark.

5. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, these are not good news.

The first tapes I bought were Fuji and the second ones were JVC. I've used already 2 Fuji Tapes and 3 JVC tapes, in this order. Hope this is not critical !

I guess I must stick to JVC tapes .... hope they are good and last for ages !

Thanks MarkE19 !

6. w4yne

w4yne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had better stick with the Fuji tapes then although this is no big deal as they seem ok and are available at pretty good prices.

Thanks for the info.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Don't panic about the odd couple of different tapes. Pick one of the makes and go with that from now on. It may be that the JVC & Fuji are the same tape, but maybe not! Play it safe from now on would be my advice, unless you can find out for sure who makes what tapes.
    As I said, the odd couple of different tapes should do no damage.

Mark.

8. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MarkE19 !

I really apreciate your advices !

Thanks a lot !

Best regards

9. bt521hs

bt521hs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't mean to be pedantic, but does it matter what 'type' of tape used within the same brand? There are different grades of tape available within the company. Personally, I have only used the basic sony tape, but am considering trying out hte more expensive pro range of the sony.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    possibly/probably/perhaps/maybe :confused:

What are the likely differences between the 'types' of tapes each company make? IMO they are likely to have different coatings, which is the whole point of not mixing brands of DV tape ie don't clogg the tape heads with different coatings.
    I've never seen it advised not to mix the different types of tapes by a single brand, but based on my own so called common sense I would play it safe and stick as closely as possible to exactly the same tape.
    But of course saying all the above you can bet your next wage packet on the fact that over the course of a few years even the same tape will have been 'improved' by the company and therefore are sure to have some changes in the coatings on the tape :rolleyes:

Mark.

11. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17