Wi fi extender?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by jim savage, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jim savage

jim savage
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have a networking problem that may be very easy to solve but i have become confused with reading so much about wifi extenders , boosters etc and so have come on here to hopefully get some advice .

I have a problem getting wi-fi in all areas in my new house. The router is upstairs and gives good WiFi coverage in all of the upstairs rooms. However the signal does not come through the concrete floor to the downstairs level. I can get a weak intermittent signal but this is not good enough.

Therefore i have run an Ethernet cable to the room immediately below where the router is located and where my desktop pc is sited. My question is - how can i get a good signal in the other downstairs rooms.

Ideally i would like a device that i can plug in to a mains socket downstairs, which would have two Ethernet sockets. One for the cable for the router to plug into, and the other would connect the device to the PC. The device would also transmit wifi signal to the rest of the downstairs rooms.

This way i would have a strong cabled signal to the pc (most important), and be able to use tablet and phone etc in the other rooms.

If such a device exists, can anyone advise on an particular model, make etc

Thank you.

Jim Savage

2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
  3. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    As suggested, you could use another WIFi Router as a combined Switch/Access Point (see the sticky linked by spyder viewer about how to do this), or you could use a Powerline WiFi Access Point like this one, which is exactly the kind of device you describe.

4. jim savage

jim savage
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. i like the idea of something very simple like Powerline WIFI access point but have a question about this.

It says in the product description for this device that it extends the network using your existing electrical circuits. If that is the case - wouldnt i need a device plugged in at both eends to talk to each other?

i thought that if i used this device that the network would have been extended via the Ethernet cable that has been run from the router to the downstairs location. It would then plug into the access point and be transmitted wirelessly from there.

Can someone please clarify please.

Thanks

Jim

5. remixedcat

remixedcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it would be best to connect a cat6 cable from your router to an access point.

Range extenders halve your bandwidth becuase it also has to relay the signal to the router. it has to spend more time making a copy of the data to send to the router.

6. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    That Powerline / WiFi AP device has four logical internal components, a two port switch, a Powerline interface, a WiFi Access Point, and a controller / Web server for configuration. All these are connected internally. In your application you won't be using the Powerline interface - it'll still be operational, but (unless you have other Powerline units plugged into your mains) ignored. The only external effect will be that the Powerline indicator on the unit will be red (indicating it can't talk to another Powerline unit).

Data to/from the unit can use any of the external interaces, the ethernet ports, the WiFi AP or the Powerline interface.

7. jim savage

jim savage
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for answering my question - much appreciated.

jim