Wi-Fi Down...

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by the colonel, Dec 31, 2011.

1. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    This evening when I tried to connect to the internet on my Mac Mini it would not connect, nor would the e-mail work. However, hard wiring to the router got everything working again.

Following a quick google search I ran the network diagnostics in the system preferences. The diagnostics kept hanging on saying 'Network Change Detected' and I was asked to input the WEP key which did nothing. However, I did see this message "Wi-Fi has self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet."

What concerns me is that the network has not changed! My three windows PC's are working fine. Not sure what I did but the problem resolved itself and the wireless internet connection is working again (sort of).

I am running the same youtube videos on the Mini and my Sony Vaio laptop side by side and the Mini is consistently losing the connection but the Vaio is rock solid.

A quick Google search highlighted numerous possible issues and varied solutions, some quite involved.

I welcome any advice on the best course of action other than throw it in the bin ;)

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,753
    Sounds like it didn't get a DHCP address assigned. Which devices give out DHCP addresses on your network? And what is it?

3. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    As above, DHCP got it's knickers in a twist. I have IPv4 set to "Using DHCP with manual address" and set my iMac at 100, well out of the way of devices using DHCP.

4. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Got my Airport Extreme set to control DHCP allocation via Mac Address and use the same to lock devices that can connect too. Works very well indeed. Prior to the Extreme, it was all manual setup on each machine for me. Sorted a whole multitude of issues that way.

5. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    This morning it seems to be behaving itself.

Only one device I think, an O2 router/ modem (Thomson TG585v7).

What do you think caused the problem? Whilst it was a pig to initially set up until yesterday there had not been any connectivity issues.

Thanks for the reply!

6. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Oops! Sorry guys (bpsmith & anorax) just missed your replies. Thanks for the advice and I will look at it this afternoon.

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,753
    Unfortunately there could be a host of reasons if you pardon the pun. One place I worked there was one laptop that had its ability to kick 12 macs of the network. It was a guest wireless connection to a BT broadband router.

A client of mine has got a corporate juniper based solution to which no mac nor Linux computer can use. Took me a while with help from my pen tester to find out their security certificate was issued wrong that stopped the forwarding of request on more secure devices like osx and several Linux distributions whilst windows ignored it.

I was on O2 for a little while and didn't like the router at all. It gave me slower through put and weird disconnections.

However I would try and set fixed dhcp assigned ip address based upon the MAC address but outside the normal range. And at home it also wouldn't be necessary to have a short expiry time.

Hope that helps.