1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wi-Fi audio connections

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by stewart, Oct 24, 2005.

1. stewart

stewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just joined so I hope someone can help me with what could potentially be a stupid and/or simple question. Anyway, I have itunes on my laptop and I would like to play this wirelessly (is that spelt right?!) thru my amp. I understand the concept of wireless routers (well a bit anyway) and I wondered if this would be possible. If so...how?

Thanks
    Stewart

2. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yep, you just need a wireless router/access point to setup the network.

Then get a streaming device (main ones: Netgear Mp101, Terratec Noxon, Philips Streamium, Roku M1000, Slimdevices Squeezebox) which plugs into the hifi.

Or if you don't mind not having a screen/remote, the Apple Airport Express (I think its that one) does both jobs, gives you a wireless network and plug it into your hifi which plays whatever itunes is playing.

Hope this helps a bit

Andrew

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    i have done exactly as you want, i used a ROKU M1000 soundbridge. brilliant piece of kit. and the reason i chose this, is because you dont need to install any additional software at all, it just uses itunes on its own. superb and the sound is brilliant! browses exactly like an ipod, artist-album-song title. etc
    and also you can listen to digital radio on it as well!!

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As andrew1810 says, the Apple Airport Express Base Station is the simplest way to do it. iTunes will broadcast to it (wirelessly, or wired) from any computer on the resultant network:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...bLj2L6veyh1UlsBk9t/1.0.15.1.0.8.12.1.0.1.17.0

It has both analog and digital audio outputs for an amplifier, and is also a standard router. It integrates with any wireless or wired network, or forms its own.

5. stewart

stewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Easier than I thought by the sounds of it.

6. pavilion

pavilion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to butt in but do you know if its possible to have more than one Roku M1000 working at the same time to have different music playing in different rooms?

7. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yes, any of the devices except the Apple supports multiple music tracks in different places.

Last time I checked the maximum for the Roku was 5 devices, the Squeezebox and others I think way 21 (that would be a BIG house though!!).

The Squeezebox is the only one which supports synchronised playing I think.

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,342
    FWIW I use 2 x Netgear MP101 and this is one thing I would dearly love to do - but didn't realise I wanted until I had them both up and running.
    It would be nice to have the same music playing in the lounge and front room especially when you're entertaining. Might sway you in favour of Squeezeboxes over the others?

9. dm_irish

dm_irish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought the sonos was the only one that did this and the squeezebox didn't?

10. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The Squeezebox DEFINITELY can, its been mentioned a number of times on the forum and is one of the main selling points.

I know the new Streamium does and I think the Sonos does, but they are quite a bit more expensive so I hadn't mentioned them.

11. dm_irish

dm_irish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that, good to know, did they not used to?
    pretty sure I read a review of the sonos that said it was the only one that did this, but don't remember the date of the review, will try and track it down..

found it, slimdevices should ask them to edit this, i believed it:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1759560,00.asp

"But the ZonePlayer does the opposite as well: It can play the same music throughout the house, perfectly synchronized. Even though that may seem drop-dead simple, other hubs don't do it. And you can join multiple rooms to play the same music, or put something different on in other rooms on the fly"