Wi-fi and internet connected, but nothing loads?

sonysean

I have a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem router and a fibre broadband internet connection. We get average download speeds of around 60-70mbps and upload speeds of around 18mbps.
The router has been in use for almost 3 years now with mostly no issues at all.

However recently I've started to notice I'm having to do a reboot every now and then as thing's start acting up on the network, and will act as if there is no internet connection, even though most still show as connected to Wifi.
Knowing that just because Wifi is connected, I realise this doesn't mean the internet is, however upon looking at the LED's on the router itself, they all continue to show as normal and show the internet as being connected.
What could the cause for such a situation be?

Other issues I also have (which I have posted about before) is when downloading on some devices (like my PS5 and on Sky Q) it seems to hog all available bandwidth, making other devices become unusable online (to the point where Wifi connected smart plugs/lights arn't even usable).
I have noticed though that the only devices that seem to end up hogging bandwidth are connected to an ethernet switch, but to me it doesn't seem like this should be happening?

Kristian

Do you have a device connected to the router via a cable? Does it lose Internet when the wifi device does, or does it carry on working?

sonysean

Do you have a device connected to the router via a cable? Does it lose Internet when the wifi device does, or does it carry on working?
If I'm honest I haven't really checked or noticed.

I only have a few things connected via ethernet (PS5, Sky Q, Hive hub, Hue hub, CCTV camera and 1 powerline for an VOIP phone).
Everything else is connected via Wifi.

Next time I have the issue I'll make sure to see if the PS5/Sky Q are still working as normal.

I assume if they were indeed working fine the problem is the router's Wifi?

neilball

Your router may have settings that help share bandwidth dynamically to stop a single client hogging the total available (I know that Draytek Vigors have such features, but I’ve not used TP-Link routers since the days of dual-up so cannot say if your Archer has this feature or not). You’ll need someone with that model of router to confirm or look to see if there are any dedicated support forums for your router that could point you in the right direction.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
In no particular order:

Something else you might try when in state of crisis is to ping a few things and check that everything is working. Ping your router, ping something out on the Internet (BBC usually answers ping, not all sites do,) ping between some local devices and that'll give you some indications.

Things can "just stop working" due to IP address conflicts - in IP networking everything must have a unique IP address. If (for example) something was periodically using the same IP address of your router, all Internet access would stop, but local traffic might still be OK. You could verfy and.or map out your IP addressing - check it on the devices themselves, not your router's DHCP table, then once you've seen what the devices are using, see how that tallys against the router DHCP allocations. In particular pay attention to any devices you have "statically assigned" any IP address to and ensure that there isn't in conflict with your DHCP Range. If you don't understand what that means, don't worry about it - you probably haven't assigned any static IP addresses.

If any of your devices are acquiring "APIPA" IP addresses, that might indicate a fundamental connectivity problem. APIPA addresses all start 169.254.X.Y and are used when a DHCP Client cannot "find" a DHCP Server (there's one in your router) to talk to and literally "make up" an IP address for themselves. Usually this sort of thing happens when a link goes bad.

As to traffic congestion, I'm afraid data networking is basically "just like that." The capacity is finite and once it's full it's full and it's not allocated "fairly" - it's "first come first served." Some kind of bandwidth "hog" is the nemesis of network designers and administrators. The sort of "traffic shaping" routers Neilball describes might help a bit, but they are often not a miracle cure. Traffic shaping "toys" are sometimes included in "professional" switches and AP's to offer a degree of control for local traffic. Often this sort of thing is omitted from SOHO kit to keep it cheap and simple to use.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom