• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WI FI Access

BillM

Standard Member
Just got talk talk wireless broadband. My phone Nokia E51 has WiFi but I don't have a specific data tariff. o2 charge either max £1/day or £7.50/mth. Can I get 'free' internet access by WiFi at home if I attach a wireless usb adaptor to my pc, or will I still need to pay for data?
Thanks.

scottmillar28

Established Member
You need an adsl wireless router, then you'll have free internet anywhere in house you can get a signal, find out if talk talk will provide or you might have to buy one, :thumbsup:

RobM

Distinguished Member
Just got talk talk wireless broadband. My phone Nokia E51 has WiFi but I don't have a specific data tariff. o2 charge either max £1/day or £7.50/mth. Can I get 'free' internet access by WiFi at home if I attach a wireless usb adaptor to my pc, or will I still need to pay for data?
Thanks.

In short, Yes , you can get it for free like that :)

Mobile data, which the charge applies to and WiFi are two different things.....

Mobile data and the tariffs that go along with it are for HSDPA/3G/EDGE/GPRS data from your mobile over the O2 network.

WiFi is exactly the same as having a home wireless setup with a WiFi router and a laptop. It's just a wireless way of accessing your existing broadband package so there is no additional costs when using your mobile :)

The only time the two get blurred is when you buy into a tariff that gives you WiFi access via The Cloud or something like that. The Cloud, along with all other public WiFi services as found in the likes of hotels, service stations, Starbucks, McDonalds etc are WiFi but you need to pay for the privilege of using them. This is sometimes included as part of a data bundle from your operator, O2. As an example, the iPhone tariffs from O2 include WiFi access in this manner as well as 'unlimited' mobile data. But when you go home and connect to your home network, it's still free :)

I hope that makes sense.....?

BillM

Standard Member
Thanks.
I was being advised it was not possible, so didn't want to pay for a usb adaptor in addition to the wireless router if would not work without 'buying' data.

RobM

Distinguished Member
It will work fine :)

Think of it like this.... the USB WiFi adapter you buy for your PC gives you access to your existing broadband. That WiFi adapter is already embedded in your phone :)

badsoden

Established Member
Thanks.
I was being advised it was not possible, so didn't want to pay for a usb adaptor in addition to the wireless router if would not work without 'buying' data.

You just connect your phone to your wireless router provided by talk talk the same way you would with a laptop or any other wireless device.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom