Wi Fi 6 Mesh Backhaul Question.

Tricky-Ricky

I am about to order a couple of TP Link X20 mesh and wanted to check before I place the order, I am currently running an Asus DSL-AC88U on my TalkTalk provider and suffering bad Wi-Fi coverage and drop-outs so thinking of going back to my super router and the TP link X20 but not being very up on it, I thought I would ask here,
I know that it's better to have the two TP link system connected between themselves via Ethernet, but I have quite a few things connected via Ethernet with switches three that are POE as well, so the idea is to put one X20 unit in the lounge close to TT router and one in the upstairs office, but if i just connect them via the switches is this going to cause problems with a loop or is there a better way?

I know ideally I need to connect the X20 base unit to the TT router, but I currently use all the ports on it for devices and another switch, so is there a better way to achieve what I want to do?

Tricky-Ricky

Thanks! I get that bit, but as I am not so good at the whole networking bit, does that negate the ability to use backhaul on the two TP links in case it creates a loop as I can't really run a second separate Ethernet cable upstairs.

What kind of loop do you mean?

As you have described it you have a number of switches connected to a Asus DSL-AC88U, you plan to remove this and go back to the isp provide ‘box’

As long as your switches are not connected in a loop there should be no issue in doing as I suggested.

Tricky-Ricky

Because there are four Ethernet ports on the router and one would be used for the TP link and the rest go to various devices and a switch that in turn goes to other devices and to upstairs to more switches and devices, the idea was to use one of the Ethernet confections from a switch to go to the second TP link satellite, so I am thinking that this may cause a loop.

If you have two switches and you connect them both to the isp ‘box’ that is a chain, if they are all on the same subnet then it’s still a simple flat network.

If you connect the isp ‘box’ to one switch and that switch to the second switch it’s a single chain and still a flat network assuming it’s a single subnet.

It becomes a loop if you have two switches and you connect them both to the isp ‘box’ and then put a interconnect between the two switches, this gives multiple routs to send data between switches.

Just plugging the ap’s into different switches will not create a loop.

Only you know how your devices are interconnected and if a loop already exists or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom