1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by cdave, Jan 27, 2003.

1. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just bought a One for All 6. (at a good price!) I have Sony 36 inch set, Sony DVD and Pan sat receiver plus a video. It works them all, I have progammed the keys and can do what what I need. It could be a little better designed for the hand but otherwise since I have been using a One for All for ages I know no better. From reading all the stuff here on remotes, there is a lot of talk about Pronto and other devices. I can see from the price difference they should be much better but can someone please expalin why I should get one. What more can I do than with my One for All 6!? Plus which is the best one to get?

Thanks in aticipation

Dave

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    main reason is simplicity when you have lots of kit.

I used to have a one-4-all, and it was great. But you have to press a button to switch to 'DVD' mode, then use it, then another button to 'TV' mode, then use it. It is an exact replacement for your remotes.

If that's all you want, then its a great piece of kit. Even has macros and stuff.

Pronto is more than just a replacement - it allows you to change the way you use your kit.

So you can have a 'watch TV' button, or a 'listen to music' button, which performs all the switching on and changing inputs etc, then links to a page with the necessary controls. For listening to the radio, I have the basic volume controls, and station logos for the most listened to, so you don't have to remember the preset numbers.

TV logos are popular too, so anyone can pick up the pronto and turn over to Sky One without memorising its channel number.

When I used to use the VCR (thank god for TiVo!), it was tricky to set up with the ondigital box, so for my wife I set up a full 'online' help system in case things went wrong.

My wife never used our kit, as she couldn't care less whether the amp had to be on, and on the right input for TV, but a different input for DVDs/music. Now she has no problems with it.

Basically its a lot more flexible. Try out some examples at remotecentral.com (download some CCFs and a copy of prontoedit which has an emulator built in)

3. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Richard,

Thank you for your reply, you have explained it sufficiently well for me to investgate further. You are right about the pressing of buttons on the One for All. It is good but can get a little bit messy at times. This new one has a "Home Theater" button which allows the unit to work multiple devices in one setting but there are insufficient keys to do it properly. I am planning on getting a digital amp soon so it sounds like I need to be doing my homework.

Thanks again

Dave