• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Can I just have a bit of a rant here...

... two taps... why?!!

I can understand old houses, but 4 year old house? Two taps everywhere!

Ridiculous! Whoever designed that should be shot.

/rant over

Can someone actually explain what is a benefit of having two taps instead of a one mixer? I can understand on a bath, but every single sink in the house? Argh!

I take all sinks will have to be changed to fit a mixer tap? Other solution is to cut a bigger hole in each sink for a mixer tap and plug the other one? A rough idea of a cost of a new sink + mixer tap + fitting?

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
I have two taps in my kitchen at the moment but in the beginning of next year i'll be getting a new kitchen fitted as the current one is twenty three years old, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Eric

Distinguished Member
Let's add to this.. We have a new build...

Kitchen = Mixer
Bathroom Sink = Mixer
Bath = Individual!

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Ermm

Kitchen = Mixer
Bath = Mixer
Bathroom Sink = Individual!!!

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
No two taps here

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Two taps? Presumably that is new sink time.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
I've started to wish our sinks did have two taps. Our water is red hot (the way I like it) but it scares the crap out of me every time my 3 year old washes her hands after going to the loo. She could so easily turn it the wrong way

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We have our water turned down to 'child safe' levels to avoid this 'scaring the crap' on each toilet visit :)

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
I've started to wish our sinks did have two taps. Our water is red hot (the way I like it) but it scares the crap out of me every time my 3 year old washes her hands after going to the loo. She could so easily turn it the wrong way
Would you prefer your child to be washing hands in an ice cold water instead?

My son is 4.5 and never had turned it the wrong way yet (talking about mixer taps).

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Two taps here in every single bloody bathroom. Am also interested in how much it would cost to change to mixer

IronGiant

@Wahreo maybe able to advise on fitting costs. bathroom sink mixer taps start at £25 at Screwfix and a sink about the same. Or fit one of these to your existing sink :) Tap Hole Stopper Chrome. You should be able to get mixers that fit a standard tap hole, but you will need to check :)

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Depends on the 'sink'

If it's just a Basin and pedestal then provided there are no nasties like it being tiled around instead of having tiles behind/beneath then it'll be a starightforward job.

If it's a semi countertop basin then obviously it'll be a lot more time costuming.

Pics would be needed. Also let me know whereabouts you are. If you're local then I might be able to give you a written quotation.

Edit: As IG says, you could always blank off one tap hole and fit a mixer to the other side, although off the top of my head, the holes are different sizes. Two tap hole basins have smaller holes I believe.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Depends on the 'sink'

If it's just a Basin and pedestal then provided there are no nasties like it being tiled around instead of having tiles behind/beneath then it'll be a starightforward job.

If it's a semi countertop basin then obviously it'll be a lot more time costuming.

Pics would be needed. Also let me know whereabouts you are. If you're local then I might be able to give you a written quotation.

Edit: As IG says, you could always blank off one tap hole and fit a mixer to the other side, although off the top of my head, the holes are different sizes. Two tap hole basins have smaller holes I believe.
Sorry, I know nothing about sinks or basins and the only photos I have are taken by somebody else. It should give a rough idea though (hopefully). I'm in West Lothian but at this stage I don't really need a written quotation just a base rough figure so I can be prepared for the cost and to help with possible negotiations.

As for which sink or basin, something similar to the existing ones? Nothing too expensive, we are not toillete connoisseur 's, just simple folk :)

Thank you very much.

Please excuse poor photos
SEfZGqo.jpg

gafsTTF.jpg

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Kitchen = Mixer
Bathroom Sink = Mixer
Bath = Mixer

House built in 2008.

Do I win a prize? :D

Don't think so - we have no 'two taps' and our house was built in 1935. Well, at least half of it was :) None of the sinks are 1935 of course :p

Last edited:

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
You've got a little splash back behind each basin. I say behind but splash backs are usually resting on top of the basin, so a general rule is that if you take the basin off, the tiles will need replacing- possibly.

Labour and bits would be about £150.00

Basin and pedestal including a mixer will have a starting price of, again £150 a pop.

I hope this helps.

Prices do vary though.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
You've got a little splash back behind each basin. I say behind but splash backs are usually resting on top of the basin, so a general rule is that if you take the basin off, the tiles will need replacing- possibly.

Labour and bits would be about £150.00

Basin and pedestal including a mixer will have a starting price of, again £150 a pop.

I hope this helps.

Prices do vary though.
Thanks very much. That's very helpful, it gives me a rough idea of the cost.

If you don't mind - one more question, as I really know nothing about it - could there be another problem with changing taps / basin, like incorrect pipe fittings or pipe diameter or any other nasty surprises that can put the cost up or is just a straight forward job?

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Every job is simple on paper but there could always be issues that can be difficult to anticipate.

It should be a straight forward job though. Provided the plumber has a thorough measure of everything.

The main thing for me would be the positions of the Hot, Cold and Waste pipe.

For example, if the waste goes straight out into the wall behind then the new Basins waste can't be any lower than the current one because as we all know, water doesn't like going uphill!

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Every job is simple on paper but there could always be issues that can be difficult to anticipate.

It should be a straight forward job though. Provided the plumber has a thorough measure of everything.

The main thing for me would be the positions of the Hot, Cold and Waste pipe.

For example, if the waste goes straight out into the wall behind then the new Basins waste can't be any lower than the current one because as we all know, water doesn't like going uphill!
Thank you very much kind Sir.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom