Why

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ASH1, Jun 19, 2004.

1. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Can anyone tell me why we have those stupid boarders when watching the footie on freeview? :mad: . If I watch it on my analogue TV they're not there. I've tried the normal things like stretching the screen with no success. Why give us widescreen TV's and plasmas and then broadcast in 4.3. Rant over.

ASH1

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    ITV and BBC are broadcasting the football in a 16:9 frame to match the studio presentation and to help out the poor w/s TV owning public (who they must think can't setup their own tellys correctly) they added the pillar box borders to keep the footy action in the correct ratio.

Why the BBC and ITV have only got 4:3 feeds is a much longer story but basically it's down to money and effort:)

3. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Starburst, thanks for your reply. If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it why is it in full frame 16.9 on a analogue TV?.

ASH1

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It hasn't.
    By analogue TV you do mean normal analogue via an aerial?
    I have been watching the footy via analogue terrestrial (4:3 telly) and it's all been in 4:3 including the studio shots.
    I would normally watch TV via SKY (4:3 letterbox) but far too many times I have found that analogue produces better pictures from the BBC and ITV for footy.

Of course for those with a w/s telly watching via analogue the TV could be stretching the image to fill the screen.

5. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have switched format correction off on all of my components but when watching the footie i get the bars as well. if i use the smart zoom function i lose the score and time. when the studio bit comes on the picture fills the full widescreen. i thought it was down to the portugese transmitting in 4:3.

6. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought that this occurred because I have my Sky box set to output pictures in 16:9 format. If you switch this off on the Sky box it should show the whole picture.

7. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Starburst, what I'm trying to say is when watching the footie on my 32" wide screen which is through a NTL analogue box, the picture fills the screen and doesn't look stretched (set to 16.9). But on my 42" plasma which goes through a digital freeview box I have boarders on ITV and BBC, My plasma is also set to 16.9, so the digital broadcast sends the boarders but the analogue doesn't. Yet another reason to sick with analogue.

ASH1 :(

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    That's a puzzle:)
    While the BBC and ITV studio shots are true 16:9 the actual football itself is 4:3 so I am not sure why it looks ok from the NTL analogue source. Are the idents and graphics during the footy in the right place for a 16:9 picture or a 4:3 picture?
    Have you been able to look at Eurosports coverage?
    That is 4:3, it would be interesting to see what it looks like on your setup.

Yeah it's a bit of a letdown that analogue is superior to digital for this tournament for both picture quality and presentation:(

9. Harry Botter

Harry Botter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ASH 1

Its actually quite simple.

Just set your digibox to think it is connected to a 4:3 TV in the set up menu. I did this with my Freeview box, and voila! Presume it would have exactly the same result with Sky and NTL. The image is a little streched, but its far better than having those massive borders.

10. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The cheap arse Portuguese TV company that is providing the football coverage doesn't have 16:9 cameras, only 4:3. Simple.

11. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks H.B it worked. last night I watched the French get knocked out without boarders (sorry if your French :D )

ASH1 :smashin:

12. Harry Botter

Harry Botter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    French? :eek:

Non :D