• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VulcanDriver

Standard Member
Seen a unlocked and jailbroken iPhone for sale and the seller says this:

"Note: You must connect the iPhone to a computer each time you switch it on after being powered off. This applies to all unlocked new iPhones. Simple and easy instructions are provided."

I want to know why? Surely this is a major limitation if you are not by a PC and you have to switch it off .e.g conference, theatre, hospital etc. If it is the case me thinks a unlocked iPhone is not for me :(

bigdavecox90

Seen a unlocked and jailbroken iPhone for sale and the seller says this:

"Note: You must connect the iPhone to a computer each time you switch it on after being powered off. This applies to all unlocked new iPhones. Simple and easy instructions are provided."

I want to know why? Surely this is a major limitation if you are not by a PC and you have to switch it off .e.g conference, theatre, hospital etc. If it is the case me thinks a unlocked iPhone is not for me :(

It's not the case from what I know mate.

By the way hi, I live just down the road in Blandford. :D

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
It means it's a newer 3GS model and it loses its jailbreak each time it loses power. The phone will still work but powered on but you'll lose your jailbreak and unlock until you jailbreak it again.

VulcanDriver

Standard Member
Hi Big Dave in Blandford. OK what does jailbreak do?

Found out now. So does a locked iPhone accept 3rd party apps normally then?

Last edited:

bigdavecox90

Hi Big Dave in Blandford. OK what does jailbreak do? I've seen the name but I've not a clue what it does.

Jailbreaking allows you to install 3rd party apps, that aren't officially Apple etc.

Also allows you to change the theme so your iPhone looks different.

VulcanDriver

Standard Member
Thanks Big Dave. Once a 3rd app is installed does it have to be jailbroken every time or only when a 3rd party app is installed.

bigdavecox90

Thanks Big Dave. Once a 3rd app is installed does it have to be jailbroken every time or only when a 3rd party app is installed.

No mate.

Once you have jailbroken it, you use Cydia (kind of like the jailbroken app store) to find what you are looking for and just install it from there.

:clap:

VulcanDriver

Standard Member
Ah right so even if I didn't connect it to a PC to power it on, the apps will work and I only need to jailbreak it if I want to install another 3rd party app. Have I got that right.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
Ah right so even if I didn't connect it to a PC to power it on, the apps will work and I only need to jailbreak it if I want to install another 3rd party app. Have I got that right.

If you have a tethered 3GS (the newer models), then if you let the 3GS die, you wont be able to use any 3rd party apps you've got installed until you jailbreak it again. Once it's JB'd, you're good to go again.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Closing this now, since it's discussed in massive detail in the dedicated Jailbreaking forum. It's not that hard to find...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom