Why you shouldn't rely on spell checkers.

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

283510d1325350551-sale-panasonic-dmp-bdt110-blu-ray-player-plus-star-wars-blu-ray-trilogy-_dsc0149.jpg

(right click and view image for the original size)

The box I received yesterday is exactly the same.

Spot the not-so-deliberate spelling mistake?

:lesson: For important stuff, get someone else to check your work; don't just rely on spell and grammar checkers!

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have a "you PC" ?, bad luck, it won't work with yours :thumbsup:

I like the fact there are four different remote control options:

iPhone
iPod
touch
iPad

Touch sounds interesting, almost button like...

You don't have a "you PC" ?, bad luck, it won't work with yours :thumbsup:

Quite shocking that something so simple made its way onto the front face of the packaging from a reputable name like Panasonic.

I have to say, to be worth its own thread I was hoping for profanity at the very least.

I love how it's displayed as a Blu-ray 'with Skype' but then have in tiny writing that you need the Skype Camera TV-CC10. I guess something like Skype capable is not as marketable ;)

I love how it's displayed as a Blu-ray 'with Skype' but then have in tiny writing that you need the Skype Camera TV-CC10. I guess something like Skype capable is not as marketable ;)

Skype-ready :rotfl:

I used to work for a manufacturing company which supplied the major supermarkets. We had several thousand plastic sleeves printed which should have read "20 Refuse Sacks with strong wire ties", unfortunately no-one noticed an "r" missing so it actually read "20 Refuse Sacks with stong wire ties"

When I was at University - UEA - we got a massive run of new letter-headed paper in. At the top of every one, in very large letters: UAE

:facepalm:

imightbewrong said:
When I was at University - UEA - we got a massive run of new letter-headed paper in. At the top of every one, in very large letters: UAE

:facepalm:

actually, that was the period when UEA was briefly owned and re-named by the UAE government :p

I wrote many service manuals for Panasonic TVs back in the 80s, the final copies being sent to Japan for printing. When the printed manuals came back, we noticed an interesting change had been made. All references to "right hand bracket" were correct but the left hand had been changed to "left hand blacket". Right bracket, left blacket. Curious.

All your blu-ray are belong to us.

As someone who has worked in proof-reading and copy-taking, as well as a correspondence department, it is amazing how many spelling mistakes make in to professional works nowadays. Literature from companies like Sony, Panasonic etc (although in a lot of cases with them it is a translation error which is always amusing), most of the newspapers are now quite horrific in respect of their printed werd. Magazines like What Hi-Fi have also become more amusing to read for the errors than the articles (which are almost errors in their own right sometimes!......love that £50 USB cable...hahaha)

Most of the time, the errors are as above, you instead of your, an instead of and etc. But an increasing number of less understandable errors too, grammatic as well as spelling. With magazines/papers, I could at least be willing to consider that sentences missing a word are simply because the article would be too long, so they are taking the lazy way out of managing this, but with articles on the interaweb, or if there is plenty of space on the page in a mag/paper......

Spellchecker would normally pick up a word missing from a sentence as the sentence wont make grammatical sense in most of those cases without it. I honestly think people have moved from being lazy enough to need one, to being apathetic (or egotistical) enough not to bother using it.

ps. please dont bother picking out any mistakes in my post, its first thing in the morning, I've been worked like a dockside woman-of-the-night for the last few days and my arthritis is killing me, so there probably are some and I couldn't give a monkeys :)

Let's hope Panasonic are not a member of AVforums as it is against forum rules to correct grammar :)

And now, a werd from our sponsors...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom