1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why you do this to me Dimmy?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Sigismund, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Sorry, I have no idea why I used that as a title, but if anyone is reading this...

At present I have a BK Electronics SDA-XLS10 sub, which I bought on MUFU's recommendation, and he was of the opinion that it was similar to a Rel Q200E - I'm quite ignorant in all things subby! I've been happy with the BK but I now fancy an SVS PB12-ISD... not least because I like the look of it :D

However, I am old and just about wise enough to realise that looks ain't everyting... so I've ventured into unknown territory by visiting this forum, in search of some wise and helpful words from those in the know - will it be at least one, and preferably two steps, up the subwoofery ladder?

Thanks for any assistance ;)

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi Sigismund

Questions to ask yourself and possibly share with your humble advisors: :)

How big is your room?

Do you like to listen at very high levels?

Do you already have neighbour problems?

Do you presently suffer any room effect 'boom' problems with your BK?

Do you have more room available in the same position as your present sub?

Or are you allowed to experiment freely with subwoofer positioning?

Do you usually choose equipment based on appearance? :blush:

Regards
    Dimmy ;)

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    This is the most important bit IMHO. I got stung buying a Q200 blind over mail order. Despite good reviews and more than a few folk extolling it's virtues, it just didn't work in my room. I lost a fair bit of money on that purchase and vowed never to get a sub without a home demo. I was, however, tempted to break that rule and get an SVS sub (a PB12-Plus/2 actually), such are the plaudits on this forum. Thing is, how do you really know, I mean beyond a doubt, that a sub will work in your room without a home demo? You could get the very best SVS or REL or M&K - whatever, can make, but if your room doesn't suit it, it's money down the drain. The answer is, you don't know. No matter how many glowing reviews or posts there are, you simply cannot gauge how something is going to work without a home dem and "experiment freely with subwoofer positioning".
    Therefore I would think it near impossible for anyone to answer your question "...will it [SVS PB12-ISD] be at least one, and preferably two steps, up the subwoofery ladder?" Specs wise, yeah, it wipes the floor with your surrent model and I am sure that it is a capable piece of kit. But, as I am positive you are aware, specs aren't everything.
    Whatever model you decide upon, however you do it, get a demo. Frankly, if I were to spend over £500, or whatever, on anything I would want to see it in action before parting with that much money.

Russell

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whilst I agree with what Russell has said in principle, I would guess that if the downward firing BK sub worked well in your room then other down firers would too.

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I agree, to a point as my Q400 and a B&W 675 I demoed both worked best in the same place. But then they have the same design principle. However, if a selection of subs are down firing and one of each is vented forward, rearward, down or sealed, these would all work out differently. My old Strata III was in a completely different position than my Storm III, despite them both being down firing designs. Additionally, none of the downward designs that I have tried sound as good as the front firing subs I have tried and I have no idea why.
    All I am saying is that you have to be careful, or you will wind up with something inapropriate for your room, despite the capabilities of the sub.

Russell

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    One half of a 24' by 12' room

For reviewing purposes, yes

Nope :D

Not that I'm aware of...

Yes, a little

Not completely freely, but yes

Never, well sometimes, I guess... actually, now I think about it :D But I always choose something that has a good reputation ;)

Ian - what does "downward firing" mean? My BK sub is a sealed unit with a woofer at the front.

Russraff - there lies the problem... I can't get a home demo. I appreciate your meaning, but if the SVS has the potential that you suggest, that is good enough for me ;)

So unless someone has anything that really throws a spanner in the works... I'm gonna order an SVS :D

Can't tell I want one, can you :suicide:

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    In that case, get one as you'll not be happy until you do. I hope it puts a huge :D on your face and you give your new sub the :thumbsup:

Happy buying, and let us know how it sounds.

Russell

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know what sub you buy from SVS and your opinions, if i had the room i would go for the PB2 Ultra.

John

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The PB2 Ultra would be awesome, it would be my choice if space and funds allowed.

When the loft conversion is completed, I might buy another PC Ultra as that should give the equivalent performance of one PB2 Ultra, as long as I can get them singing along together without any problems :D

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you are willling to co-locate them then 2 x PCUs should act like one potent subwoofer. It's only when you start seperating them that you run into potential trouble with phase effects between them. They are bound to be points on the frequency scale where they cancel and reinforce each other. But only if the seperation runs into large fractions of the wavelengths involved.
    I ran my own subs about 8-10 feet part when I had two. But now I think about it I never did a response test run with both subs working. Though they sounded fine to me on music. :)

The PB12-Ultra/2 is already co-located by SVS of course. :)
    So you could sell me your PC Ultra (very cheaply) to save yourself worrying about this particular problem. :devil:

Nimby

11. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've been giving this some serious consideration... and I've ended up wondering whether to get a nice new SVS PB12-ISD or go for a secondhand Servo 15.

If those in the know could offer some nuggets of wisdom I would be eternally grateful. :)

12. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sigismund - it means what you think it means - the driver is at the base of the enclosure facing down, rather than the more usual forward firing (if thats the correct term) like your BK. I'm sure theres probably a number of reasons why, but one is stability with that low centre of gravity.

Mark.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    No chance matey :D I LOVE my PCU, fantastic subwoofer for the money. I hear what you are saying about co-locating a pair of PCU's, makes a lot of sense to go that way.

As for Smurfins PCU, I can vouch for it, it is a cracking sub, sounds exactly as good as mine :) :thumbsup: