Why would you want to use di-pole's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by uncle eric, Sep 26, 2002.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to hear some general thoughts on this provocative subject. How many of you guys are using di-poles and why?

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    I am using Boston pro THX dipoles at the moment.

I have to say that i prefere the more dispersed rear channel sound, it just sounds so much more natural for rear pans and stereo effects.
    With direct radiators(mono poles) the sound is far to directional IMHO, and on rear pans the image tends to fall apart for me.

Oh eric, these are going soon and I will need Tripoles for the rear channel, [email protected] afford the SS150, so what do you recommend to use with the 1510's. I did think about the gallos, but as you can tell from the above, i prefere the dipole tripole approach.

3. baileych

baileych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because I prefer the sound.

(The answer to any personal HiFi question :p)

I think that they suit some particular setups (e.g. mine) where the room (for WAF/GAF reasons) cannot be setup like the ultimate audio audition room.

I used to use direct radiators (B&W DM601S2) behind the left and right corners of the sofa. However, because the sofa is quite close to the rear wall these ended up being very close to the sofa. This resulted in the effects being localised too strongly to either the left shoulder or the right shoulder.

Also because I am much further from the front speakers than the rear ones front to back panning had that 'oh, now the sound is moving to the rear speakers' effect.

I find now with mission 78ds speakers mounted on left and right walls (if only the rear wall wasn't a window I could move to 7.1 ...) that the integration with the front speakers (despite now being a different make etc.) is much better and effects pans from left to right (or vice versa) at the back are more even.

If I could move the sofa forward (reducing effective size of room :( so that rear direct radiators could actually form a stereo image, unlike when they were too close to the sofas, then some of the problems which prompted me to switch to dipoles [should say bipoles] would probably go away.

I do find that dipoles [bipoles] are not as diffuse as some make them out to be. If you believe the hype surrounding some models you'd have thought that you couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. Of course this isn't true, and you wouldn't want it to be - all that surround processing wasted! A sound from a dipole [bipole] behind your left shoulder sounds like it's coming from somewhere over your left shoulder, it's just that it doesn't sound like sound coming from directly over your left shoulder.

Charles.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    simple, because, at the time when i purchased, i didnt know much so i just did as advised! I dont know anything other than dipoles for rears

ad

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Direct firing surrounds are too directional for me too. My TDMs were a revelation to my then Denon AV-A10SE setup. I actually gained a decent soundstage with depth. I'm a 98% Movies 2% Music person and the diffuse sound is exactly right for me.

However... Now I have a Lex I'm curious to try direct radiating speaker all around again.

I would imagine in the perfect room environment you could achieve the very best results with direct firing, but with the limitations most of us have to live with di-poles cover up a lot of the flaws in the soundstage caused by speaker positioning compromises.

Mark.

6. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my M&K SS-150THX in tripole mode (I know this is a dipole thread) but in tripole they operate in dipole too.

The dispersion is superb I don't like a too direct radiating surround effect as I feel it is far too processed and unnatural.

The tripole gives me a certain degree of directionality but the dipole speakers give me the feeling that all things around are caving in on my head.

Regards

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I too use 2 sets of TDM34s, although I run my back pair as bipoles. Problem is, you are supposed to sit in the 'null' with dipoles. Not a problem for side mounting, but pretty much impossible if you are using 2 back speakers. I'm very happy with the results.

I've tried monopoles all round, but just don't like them. I find the effects too distracting, The idea is that your attention should be focused toward the screen, ie the front of the room with the rear used mainly for effects/ ambience etc. (my opinion anyway!)

Rob.

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Similarly i too use two pairs of TDM 34's and would not change them for anything less!!!. I have tried/owned quite expensive mono-pole speakers for rear/back duties and prefer di-pole by a clear mile.

Steve.

9. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find 2 direct radiators placed inline, about 1m above ear level, toed in ever so slightly to give the perfect compromise between directionality and ambience.

Plus it helps the 'top half' of my room is fairly hard surfaced helping ambience while the bottom half has lots of soft furnishings/diffusion to benefit the mains.

10. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    I was using Kef THX dipoles until recently but have switched to M&K S85´s (pointing backwards and at an angle to disperse the sound off walls). The dipoles did a very good job at dispersing the sound well, quite liked them to be honest. Hope to get some M&K tripoles next & get the best of both worlds.:)

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone tried using monopoles firing into a corner? I cant remember who suggested it to me, or perhaps i thought it up myself (it sounds daft enough!).

Ad

12. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Its not as daft as you´d think, certainly worth a try, long as the speakers aren´t right in the corner, have them a couple of feet away. Mine are sort of firing at the corners. Works pretty well.:)

13. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!
    I`m using B&W DS#6 THX dipole surrounds and I can only say that they sound fantastic when given the right space from rear wall and directly in line with listener. Now I have a problem though. Changing living room to dedicated HT room from 5.1 to 7.1 sound. Damn chair will only be 2 feet from rear wall, and window on one side and arch on the other so can`t put them there. Will use dipoles for surround back with polarity reversed. Any one any ideas on other makes and models to try out.

14. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i'm another using m&k ss150 in tri-pole operation. i did spend the time however, experimenting with the different se up options and in my case it sounded best as a tripole. its just a little more atmospheric when you can't pin-point the sound coming from the rear left/right channel!

15. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Eric,

I am interested in hearing your Reply to this thread, and what your reasoning behind Not liking di-poles, If you have a spare 5 mins.;) :D

16. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I used to have Boston THX surrounds, but sold them a few weeks back. I now have an NHT speaker package that has direct rear speakers. I have always had dipole rears, and to me the direct rears are much better: more focused as you'd expect. Certain films, normally score heavy like LOTR, are more "alive" in the room.

Russell

17. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the mission 78DS are bi-poles.

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Eric,

Once again, a fine post with well thought out arguements, and as always you are tempting me to experiment, and spend MORE money:eek: So that will be two more 1510's then:eek: :rolleyes:

19. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hi Eric, same sentiments as THX 1138 but in our small/average sized living rooms especially ones with minimalist furniture, wouldn't di-poles be better suited to us ??

Im considering getting the Mordaunt Short THX 506's so would like more views on this.

20. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    I think the MS 506 will be a good addition to your system, but experiment first.

I like dipoles, but have two kef speakers spare and tried to experiment a little with the Monopole idea, I am still undecided and have asked eric to take a look at some photos of my room and give me some ideas on placement..

If I like the result then I may go and buy two more 1510's for the rear duties. I will wait and see what my experiments uncover.

But I would always say, what sounds right to you, is right.

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Another di-pole fan here, in fact I have two pairs like many here. I also have some conventional speakers for rear and side duties. I generally prefer the dipoles but I quite like the THX2 solution with dipoles on sides and conventional rears.

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about tripoles uncle deric?????????????

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276

24. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Need education

Mono Plole - Single Speaker
    Bi Pole - 2 speakers
    Tri Pole - 3 speakers

But what the heck are Di Poles????:confused:

25. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Same as Bi poles, but; dipoles out of phase, Bi poles in phase.
    What this means is that in dipoles the sound is diffuse and the drivers work against each other,out of phase. Bipole gives a more focused sound as the drivers work together, in phase.

Polk audio make some dipole/bipole duel units.

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beankiiper,
    Good one but my comment was more tongue in cheek :D
    looks like I'll have to watch out for you :D

27. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just upgraded my surrounds to Polk to match the fronts, haven't noticed anyone else here on the forums that have them, only me. Did have a listen to the Di-pole/Bi-pole units, very pricey, £500 for the pair that match the fronts I have. :eek: so I stuck with Mono Poles. Just the surround back to change, Polk do sell single units :D in the USA that is :( but here in the UK the dealers only sell them in pairs. :mad: Here's hoping Uncle Eric can do a power buy on single Polks. :D

28. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Bob,

I used to own a PR of Polk Ls/Fx bipole/dipoles which were awesome! But they did cost nearly £500.

29. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

It was the FX500's I were looking at, they look well, have you seen the CS1000 centre, it's nearly 3foot wide. :eek: and costs just short of £1k.

Must admit they are a great sounding speaker, a bit pricey, but for quality you get what you pay for.

Not many Polk dealers in the UK, I'm lucky enough to have a main dealer that's just 15mins away, they also do M&K, just finishing a re-fit at the moment, will have to go have a listen, would put M&K on my short list when I start to get tired with the Polks.

30. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Are you interested in the Pro versions or the more expensive and inferior domestic stuff.