Why would you get a TF5810 instead of a DVD/HDD recorder?

holybinch

Standard Member
I've looked at the Panasonic DFR-EX78 and the Toppy TF5810 for a bit now.
Obviously, I'm looking for a recorder that would go well with my 1080p TV.

So the question is simple, considering they're the same price, why would you get a Toppy instead of the Panasonic ?
The extra tuner ?
The extra 250Gb, I don't really care about, especially since I can archive on DVDs.
The only feature I can see that the panny doesn't have is the ability to rewind live TV.

So, gimme your best shots guys, I'm really puzzled at the moment.

Cheers

nwhitfield

You'll be surprised how much more flexible things can be with an extra tuner - but obviously, if you don't want a lot of TV, that may not be so important to you.

There's a CI slot, in case you want Setanta.

There's the pause and rewind live tv.

I don't suppose the Panasonic has a USB port for transferring MP3s? Can you add extra software to it to do things like view photos? Or plug into your computer network and set timers via text message? Does it have full Freeview Playback functionality?

Will you really archive lots of stuff to DVD? Many people who have both a PVR and a DVD recorder find that they don't actually archive much - they watch and delete.

Although the 5810 has HDMI, since it's still an SD box, and you're apparently not fussed about disk size, you might want to consider choosing the 5800 instead, which is very similar, and would connect to your display via component.

holybinch

Standard Member
Thanks, very insightful.

CI slot, could be interesting for Setanta, true.

Pause TV you have with the panny, not rewind though

USB/SD card for transferring MP3, jukebox function, and photos as well, so on this it's a draw. The computer access is defo a plus. Full Freeview Playback as well it seems for the panny.

I don't know if I'll end up archiving a lot to be honnest, it might be up to the missus, as she's the TV addict at home.

My main drive for the panny is picture quality, and upscaling of DVDs.
Viera link is a nice feature, as I have a panny TV, but it's more of an accessory.

Does the HDMI really bring something to the 5810, or does the PQ remains roughly the same?

If it's not really worth it, and as you mentionned, HD space isn't a big requirements, shouldn't I go for the Humax instead?

SD Viewer

Novice Member
I have both, and the only reason I have stuck with the 5810 (on the basis that eventually the bugs will get fixed) is because I also record everything onto the Panasonic EX78. The Panasonic has yet to miss a recording, while I have lost count of the number missed on the 5810. As NWhitfield says, if you can only buy one then get the 5800 (if you need twin tuners and don't mind spending a lot of time each time you wish to archive something to DVD on your PC).

nwhitfield

Archiving needn't take that long - I download to the Mac, turbo mode is between 1/5 and 1/3 of running time. Top and tail in MPEG StreamClip, which takes a couple of minutes, save as MPEG2 (very fast), and then drag into Toast and burn.

Hal_loe

The main benefit I find of using the Topfield PVR over a DVD/HDD recorder is the picture quality.

The Topfield records the DVB-T stream as broadcast. Any DVD/HDD recorder re-encodes the stream when recording.

Using a PC you can build a DVD-Video disc of the transfered file without re-encoding. In all cases with the Topfield you are able to transfer to playable disc in the best possible quality without re-encoding.

Hope that helps.

Rob100

I have a 5800 and a Panny recorder (albeit an older model).

Got the 5800 not long after they came out and don't think I've used the Panny since. The only reason it stays in the rack is because it has a clock on it :)

FozzieTheBear

I've looked at the Panasonic DFR-EX78 and the Toppy TF5810 for a bit now.
Obviously, I'm looking for a recorder that would go well with my 1080p TV.

So the question is simple, considering they're the same price, why would you get a Toppy instead of the Panasonic ?
The extra tuner ?
The extra 250Gb, I don't really care about, especially since I can archive on DVDs.
The only feature I can see that the panny doesn't have is the ability to rewind live TV.

So, gimme your best shots guys, I'm really puzzled at the moment.

Cheers
Obviously its not unique to the Toppy, but twin tuners is a must- I've lost count of the number of overlapped recordings I've needed to make- maybe we could do with three tuners!

aekostas

Obviously its not unique to the Toppy, but twin tuners is a must- I've lost count of the number of overlapped recordings I've needed to make- maybe we could do with three tuners!

Beware of marketing tripe: twin-tuner does not suffice for what you are saying above (and in my experience you are right, record-one, watch-another is not sufficient); record-two is what you want.

Rob100

Beware of marketing tripe: twin-tuner does not suffice for what you are saying above (and in my experience you are right, record-one, watch-another is not sufficient); record-two is what you want.

Yes, it's surprising how often you (well I) want to record two things and watch either another recording or watch another live channel which you do on the Toppy.

However (not wanting to state the obvious, but) as the Toppy only has two tuners you can only watch a 3rd live channel if it's on the same mux as one of the two you're recording. If the two you are recording are on the same mux you can use the other tuner to watch any channel.

aekostas

Absolutely, and that's the maximum you can get from any twin-tuner PVR.

What I was saying is that buying a twin-tuner PVR does not necessarily buy you a record-two device.

FozzieTheBear

I opted for the Toppy as I gave up waiting for a 'proper' twin tuner with a built in DVD writer (wanted the one box solution, and the ability to back up the odd program to DVD). However, I've been watching more and more in iPlayer, so have managed to justify a Toppy with a PC plonked beside it, both with HDMI out.

On the marketing trype- how about the twin tuner = one analogue, one digital!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom