1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why would the Panny AE100 be a good choice?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Grubert, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    First of all, I want to thank Timh and all the others with their first-hand reports of their new baby.

I'm also looking for an inexpensive projector. I know that in a few months there'll be more, and they'll be better and cheaper. But I'm tired of my 29" telly!

That said, I must say I'm surprised at the positive feedback the PT-AE100 has got.

There are a lot of LCD projectors which cost less than £2000, which is currently my price limit. For example, you can look here.

With anamorphic DVDs, the Panasonic has just 5% more horizontal resolution than a typical SVGA projector (like the Philips Monroe). Is that really noticeable?

With 4:3 material (and remember, there is a lot of that, from TV series to old movies), you get 20% less horizontal resolution than on SVGA projectors.

So, why is the Panny any good?

2. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Okay, 130 views and zero replies...:rolleyes:

I'll rephrase my question:

If a typical SVGA projector (like the Philips Monroe) and the Panasonic PT-AE100 went for the same price, which one would you choose?

Regards.

3. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate. I currently use an SVGA data projector (borrowed from work). The main reason for getting the Panny is that I want a widescreen projector.

You see, with the 4:3 projector I get massive grey bars above and below the picture which is the unused part of the lcd. It is distracting, and reduces the overall contrast of the picture (relative contrast).

I could make a screen with large black masking bars, but they would be amazing.

I think most folks are excited about the Panny because of this, and that colours are supposed to be pretty hot, and is accepts progressive scan.

Cheers

Roj