Why wont sonic stage convert to atrac?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by snownrock, May 26, 2005.

1. snownrock

snownrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My ss3.1 wont convert to atrac on my hd5, i have tried using the conversion tool, no luck, i have gone into tools > transfer settings and changed to atrac in there, no luck. When i transfer a song, it transfers in mp3, which is not what i want, but it wont change. Then once transferred ss wont play the mp3's from my hd5, i dont know why it wont convert them, i have followed the other threads to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    This is one of the frustrating "features" of SS v 3.1 for me. As ATRAC is Sony's own format you would think that SS would convert all MP3's to ATRAC unless you specify otherwise.

Instead MP3's are uploaded directly and the only way I have found to get around it is to use the conversion utility.

http://www.connect.com/download_mp3Conv.html

Just to explain how this utility works, it DOES NOT convert tracks already imported into your SS library (perhaps this is your problem?).

If you want ATRAC only, you must delete all of the MP3 tracks from your library (be careful not to delete the original files on your disk) and delete any you have already transferred to the player.

When you run the conversion utility:

1. Open it and point it toward the folder where you store your MP3s.

2. Select which ATRAC format you want to use.

3. The utility automatically creates duplicate ATRAC versions of your MP3s, and leaves your original MP3 files intact.

4. Imported files are available in SonicStage library (the next time you open it) in an album called "Temp" which can be renamed.

Tip - If you are importing albums, import them individually so that you can rename the "Temp" album each time. Otherwise it will just put all of your MP3's on a single album.

3. snownrock

snownrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have downloaded that, it just keeps saying i need to install sonic stage 3.1, which i have

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Right click the track and choose Convert Format. This will convert to ATRAC.
    After that, you have to go into Properties, go to the last tab, and delete the MP3 version.

Cumbersome!

5. snownrock

snownrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i gave up and am going to use mp3, having 43gb of music which i want to chop and change on the new player, doing it track by track isnt so pratical, shame, the atrac format is a damn good one, bet it would increase my battery life by a fair amount too

Cheers guys

6. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    It would be a shame to give up if you really want ATRAC.

Depends on how much you have loaded on there already but my advice would be to remove all the MP3 tracks from the SS library (only from the library not the MP3 files themselves) and from the player itself.

Then backup any remaining tracks your library (if you have any) using the backup tool.

Fully uninstall both SS v3.1 and the MP3 conversion tool - it might be the order of installation that has screwed it up a little.

Reinstall SS v3.1

Reinstall the MP3 conv.

Follow the instructions in my previous post.

If this doesn't work, I have no idea why as it works for me, I only have ATRAC on my player.

7. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Any idea as to how I can tranfer all my ATRAC tracks on my sony device into MP3 format. Just tried teh conversion tool and it didnt convert anything.. I have over time transferred approx 2K songs on to my hd5 and all are in atrac format. Since then my pc has changed and I also use a laptop to manage my music.

Now I am stuck with all teh songs on my device in ATRAC format. I want to be able to manage them more easily and also have th choice to get rid of the sony device and use something else hence I need them all in MP3 format.

Any ideas as to how I could do this?

rgrds
    SL