Why won't phones work?

Bagpuss12

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been given a cordless Panasonic phone set that I know works. I have an active landline which works with my current phone. I thought it was as simple as disconnecting and reconnecting the wires but no matter what I do I can't get a dialling tone even though everything is plugged in, charged and connected?
Am I supposed to do something other than connect the wires?

I assume connecting the wires means unplugging the old and plugging in the new?

Your cordless handset may need to be assigned to the base unit, I assume you only have one cordless DECT phone.. If you have more then make sure that only one base unit acts as primary

What model panny is it?

There are 2 units and both have previously been used at my in laws house. Its is only registering 1 base unit and everything works but no dialling tone? Its like the phone doesn't recognise the landline? There are Panasonic KX-TCD322ES

Do you the manual as it sounds like the second unit needs registering to the primary.

On page 54...
To register an additional handset to a base unit (easy registration)The included handset and base unit are preregistered. After purchasing an additional handset, register it to the base unit. Ensure that the additional handset is switched on. If it is not on, press and hold {ih} for few seconds to turn the handset on.1 Lift the additional handset and press {ih} to put the handset in standby mode.2 Press and hold {x} on the base unit for about 3 seconds, until the registration tone sounds.3 Place the additional handset on the base unit. The registration tone continues to sound. With the handset still on the base unit, wait until a confirmation tone sounds and w stops flashing.Note:L If an error tone sounds, or if w is still flashing, register the handset manually (manual registration; page 55).L If all registered handsets start ringing in step 2, press {x} to stop. Start again from step 1.L Charge the batteries of your additional handset for about 7 hours before initial use.L This registration method cannot be used for handsets that have already been registered to a base unit. Register the handset manually (manual registration; page 55).

To register a handset to an additional base unit (manual registration)You can register a handset to a base unit manually using the following method.1 Press $ (middle soft key).2 Select Y, then press ,.3 Select “Registration”, then press , 2 times.4 Select a base unit number, then press ,.L This number is used by the handset as a reference only.5 Press and hold {x} on the base unit for about 3 seconds, until the registration tone sounds.L If all registered handsets start ringing,press {x} to stop, then repeat this step.L After pressing {x}, the rest of this procedure must be completed within 1 minute.6 Wait until “Enter Base PIN” is displayed, then enter “0000” (default base unit PIN), then press ,.L If you changed the PIN, enter it (page 34).L When the handset has been registered successfully, w will stop flashing. If keytones are turned on (page 30), a confirmation tone will be heard.Selecting a base unitWhen “Auto” is selected, the handset will automatically use any available base unit it is registered to. When a specific base unit is selected, the handset will make and receive calls using that base unit only. If the handset is out of range of that base unit, no calls can be made.1 Press $ (middle soft key).2 Select Y, then press ,.Multi-unit Operation3 Select “Select Base”, then press ,.4 Select the desired base unit number, or “Auto”, then press ,.L The handset starts searching for thebase unit.

It appears one of the handsets is defunct but even do, I don't seem to be able to get the main handset / base unit to work? I've done the handset registration and base reset already. Everything looks like its working and then symbol for the signal connection comes on but no dialling tone?

Have you used the cable that came with the Panasonic phone to connect to the BT socket? There are a few different wiring conventions for the telephone end, so don't assume that any cable will work.

No, I'm using my current cable which is for a BT phone. I'll see if I can get hold of the Panasonic cable!

Used the Panasonic cable but no joy! Assuming the phone is duff?

If you have eliminated the simple things, like plugging a working phone into the same socket, then yes, it is quite possible. Can you try it back at the in-laws house?

Just a thought, which might confirm the base station has been identified correctly.
Have you called the number to see if it rings or if the answer machine kicks in?

Also if it rings can you answer?

You should be able to page the handsets from the base, does that work?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom