• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why won't my Xbox launch disco on start-up?

Disco81

Established Member
Since downloading the new dashboard, every time I turn it on it boots to the dashboard instead of playing the disc that's in the drive.
Why is this? Am I missing something really simple? It always used to autoplay before and the settings on the dash are still set to autoplay.

Last edited:

DJSigma

Banned
its not really a bug, autoplay only works when u insert disc after powering on
When autoplay is set to "disc" it should boot the game in the drive when you turn the console on. It might not technically be a "bug", but autoplay has been left out of the Kinect dashboard for some reason. Major Nelson posted on his blog that it will return in the next update. There's also a support article about it in Microsoft's KB: -

This issue occurs after downloading the latest System Update from Xbox LIVE and will be resolved in a future System Update. To work around this issue, use the Xbox Dashboard to launch the current Disc or Media Center extender.

To launch the current disc: -

1. Go to My Xbox
2. Select the first panel to Play Disc

To Launch Media Center extender: -

1. Go to My Xbox
2. Select Windows Media Center
Help and Support

RationalGaze

Established Member
I have this problem too, don't know how they could miss it in testing. I hate having to manually launch the game on the dashboard. Manually launching games is for PCs! ;)

Riff

Established Member
There are more faults in this new version of the dashboard. Some games won't even load properly. Kameo wasn't recognised at all the first time I played it after the update. Neither was Forza 2. NBA gave a message to put the disc in an XBOX360 for it to work :suicide:

DJSigma

Banned
There are more faults in this new version of the dashboard. Some games won't even load properly. Kameo wasn't recognised at all the first time I played it after the update. Neither was Forza 2. NBA gave a message to put the disc in an XBOX360 for it to work :suicide:
That's more likely to be your Xbox's DVD drive on the way out than an issue with the dashboard.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
The very first time I put a disc in after the dashboard update it thought Halo Reach was a DVD, it had never happened before and has not happened since.

Riff

Established Member
That's more likely to be your Xbox's DVD drive on the way out than an issue with the dashboard.

I doubt it. Seems like MattClarkie had kind of the same problem with Halo Reach as I had with NBA. All those problems happened right after the update.

And if it's my DVD drive going bust, then I know I'll ever buy an XBOX 360 again. I'm tired of all these flaws. The play and charge kit also never worked properly since the last dashboard update about a year ago. And I know I'm not the only one that had to deal with it.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom