Why won't my "Smart" TV play mp4 files?

Tony Norton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I downloaded a program to my PC from BBC iplayer and copied it to a USB stick, but my Sony KDC-40HX803 doesn't recognize that there is anything on the stick. I then burnt the file to a DVD, put it in my Blue Ray player and the TV said file either corrupt or not able to play this type of file.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help

Tony N

Last edited:
Almost certainly this is down to the nature of BBC iPlayer files. I suspect for copyright reasons though they do play back on the original App/Website something prevents them being copied to other mediums. There may be a work around but I suspect not.

Thanks for that Mike.

I guess I'll just have to try to get my hands on a Sony Bravia UWA-BR100 WI-FI Dongle. Either that or run a very long e-net cable through the house!

Cheers

Tony N

Chromecast £20-£30 and Plex (free) work fine for me ,but the above poster is correct Iplayer wont allow it....

However there is a program called get_Iplayer https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer which allows you to do so

However again its a bit of a faff to do , I tend to just download from a torrent site and use plex & CC

Absolutely agree with mfactor1 regarding Chromecast. It works faultlessly with iPlayer but programmes may only be available for a limited time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom