Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Why wont it play?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GlasgowGary, Jan 19, 2003.

1. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm having a problem playing a DVD I bought over the weekend. I can play every other DVD I have via my PS2/DVD player, but this one movie in particular wont play on the DVD player. I've also tried it on my other Multi Region DVD player and it still wont play and when I try to play it on the PS2 I get an error on screen saying "This disc cannot be played due to regional restrictions". I thought the PS2 was multi-regional ? I can however play it on my Laptop after selecting Region 1 in the options using Intervideo WinDVD software for XP.

Does anyone know why it will play on my Laptop, but nowhere else?
    I also have Dix X installed on the Laptop, if it's relevant.

Any advice/information/help even guesses would be greatly appreciated, as always.

Gary :(

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

What DVD is it? It might be an RCE title, which would explain why it won't play in your multi-region DVD player.

The PS2 is not multi-region OOTB. It needs a mod or that Region X thingy.

I hope your laptop DVD-ROM's firmware has been RPC1 patched, otherwise you will be limited to changing your DVD-ROM's region up to a maximum of 4 times. After that, it will region lock on whatever was the last region you selected!

Check here for an RPC1 patch: http://forum.firmware-flash.com/portal.php

3. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the prompt reply Squrrel God, The DVD is called 'Narc' (not officially out yet ) and I have my PS2 chipped (think it's a messiah 2, latest 1) and thought that would allow any region playback etc. Thanx for the info about the RPC1 patch too.
    Could you please tell me what RCE is ?, I've never heard of it.

Thanx again
    Gary

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is it a DVD-R or a proper "pressed" disc?

6. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    unless im mistaken' narc' was only released in the states around christmas time(ray liotta-jason patric thriller?).If so you have a PIRATE!!!.some off these dont play on all machines due to the way they've been mastered.but still not sure why you would get the wrong region message come up on the screen?where did you buy it ?:eek:

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not an appropriate question to ask given the rules of the forum regarding piracy.

8. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for all replies on this one, I found out it's a DVD-R and is Region 1 , still dunno why it wont play on my other Multi-Reg player. I got it going on the PS2 after buying a Region X disk for £15.00, think I need a new DVD Player. I think some older players are sensitive about these disks(DVD-R).

Thx again
    Gary