1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why use marble?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by MJeeves, Dec 20, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Why is marble recommended as a good surface to put speakers and components on? I'm making a small stand for my centre speaker as I can't find a commercial one to my tastes. Will a marble shelf be a good idea?

Thanks, M.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    marble and granite are good because they are for want of a better word dense. They don't transmit vibrations due to the density. The only thing you need to watch out for is the weight factor. I got granite worktop protectors from argos to stand my front speakers on, under £20 each :)

3. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Thanks!

This is what I was planning on doing - I was gonna have the PROAC RESPONSE CC ONE centre speaker on a Quadraspire centre speaker bracket. That would be stuck to some Michelle "tenderfeet" or "cones" onto an MDF shelf which would have FOCALPODS "padded feet" on the bottom. This would all go on top of a nice black marble shelf which would again be on Michelle "tenderfeet" cones. What do you think?

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Is that lot going to overload the foculpods? They have a weight limit per 4 of 10kg though you just add more if it's too heavy. I assume you are isolating the speaker for which I've found Foculpods to be better than the cones. How about starting by keeping it simple and just put the speaker on the pods on the shelf at first to see how that goes.

5. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I might get a dedicated centre speaker stand (about 20 cm high) and then put the marble shelf on top of that and then the FOCULPODS and then the speaker. What do you think?

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Sounds like a good idea. A stand like the Atacama SL with a big top plate should give you stability (or what ever stand takes your fancy) and the Foculpods are sticky so the speaker won't be at risk of getting knocked off the shelf. Blu-tak the marble to the stand and you'll have a 'contraption' that will stay together under almost any circumstances. If you want to use the spikes on top of the stand to hold the shelf I recommend you drill small shallow locating holes part way into the marble. These will stop it from sliding or getting knocked off.

If you want to experiment further you can usually get cheap off cuts of stone from the local stone supplier. They are often glad to get rid of it.

7. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    So, you recommend:

An Atacama SL200 speaker stand (very nice) spiked into my carpeted floor. Shall I fill the stand with sand?

A piece of marble (how thick?) blu-tacked to the top plate of the Atacama stand.

Then the Proac CC One centre speaker placed on foculpods on-top of the marble shelf. Would the foculpods be better than the cones for this?

How does that sound?

Thanks for all your help so far! :thumbsup:

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Can you buy them singly? Otherwise as you will be buying a pair you could try one filled and one empty. The best filling IMO is the most expensive, Lead shot or Atacama do the Atabites which are just chopped up nails IIRC. but dry sand is as good and a lot cheaper.

I don't think the thickness matters that much but the thicker the better seems like a good idea. Aesthetically it'll look best if it's a similar width and depth to the centre that's sitting on it.

I prefer the pods but I've seen cones recommended for solid floors, wood cones often get praise but I've not tried them yet maybe they have some of the benefits of both.

Hopefully it'll sound great.
    Though I have to say, and why I said keep it simple, is that I've not had a transformation in the sound with any supports. The changes have been subtle. It's easy to spend lots of money and go nowhere. You can always add bits later or try the layers in a different order, it's whatever works for you.

9. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Thanks! I think what I'll do to start with is put the marble on the floor on four cones feet (one in each corner). Then on top of that I'll have an MDF shelf on the FOCULPODS on top of the marble. The Quadraspire will then be attached to the MDF shelf (using blu-tack or something) with the centre speaker mounted on the Quadraspire firing upward a little. Finally, I'll make it look nice and ensure it is sturdy and viola! Hopefully, this will work as a cost effective "contraption" in the interim. What do you think? Will this be an effective set-up?

Thanks again.

:thumbsup:

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Try it a see.

I assume you have limited room and are trying to fit the speaker under something. The TV?

11. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Yes. It's a Sim2 55" RTX DLP display and it has a very narrow slopped top so I can't mount a speaker on top. :confused:

So I need to put it infront of the set without it obstructing the view of the screen, or having annoying light from the screen shining on the top of the speaker AND.... of course, getting the BEST possible centre speaker reproduction.

Where it currently is - on a Quadraspire stand on the floor - the dialogue is quite "murky" and not very intelligable. Voice intelligability is my main priority. I enjoy films more when I understand what is being said by the actors :)

How do I improve dialogue intelligability??

Thanks, m.

12. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Ah right got it now :thumbsup:

The answer is easy and that's to get the speaker off the floor. Though that doesn't help you much.

With the speaker down there you are getting bass reinforcement from the floor. Also you are getting earlier sound reflections from the floor, these mix up with the original sound and it's making the whole thing sound muddy.

Is the TV near a wall where you could mount the speaker above the screen or are you showing off the fine design and have it freestanding in the middle of the room?

13. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    No it's not near a wall. It is infront of a window with black-out curtains pulled across so there is nowhere to mount it behind or above the set. It sounds like you are right re the "muddy sound". Will my contraption help or do you think it best to go for the stands at extra expense?

Any help in getting better centre speaker performance would be very appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Martin

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Before buying any new stands just temporarily raise the Speaker on a pile of books or magazines. That way you can hear if the speaker improves when it's away from the floor without spending more money. I have seen some stands that go behind a RPTV with an extension to place the speaker over the screen but can't remember where. They may have been a custom build for someone.