1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why use a scaler? Help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by philthyanimal, Jan 5, 2005.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've posted this on the plasma forum and got no joy.
    Any one on here help me out?
    cheers

I've been looking at an iscan ultra, so a few questions.
    How much differance would a scaler make to a pw7?
    Can sky go in via svideo and dvd go in to the scaler via component and come out via dvi?
    Will it improve sky+? Would s video from the sky+ into a scaler then out via dvi be better than sky+ into pw7 with a rgb to vga convertor?
    Would component from a 757i into a scaler and out via dvi be better than going into the pw7 via component direct from the 757?

Any help most welcome.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I see no Panny owner has a thought .. not having a plasma I can only suggest that given the resolution of the PW7 I don't see in what way a scaler would produce a better picture, given your plasma's resolution is relation to that of the DVD you're playing .. can't comment on Sky as I don't view TV on my projector.

The 757 produces a nice component output from all reports I've seen, I really don't see how a scaler would improve it. I assume you're feeding progressive, if not then the deinterlacer in the scaler I guess could be an improvement.

Also, can the iScan actually convert component in to DVI out?

Just some thoughts based on no experience whatsoever of the kit involved. :)

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The Ultra isn't a scaler either. It's an AV Hub with de-interlacing capabilities. The scaling starts with the HD and if you're going HDMI then you'll be after a HD+ as the HD doesn't do HDCP conversion.

As for the kit ( I have a HD) it'll do all sorts of conversion - the only one that I have found it misses is VGA input to DVI out. It's a great bit of kit but its worth will depend on the connectivity and the video circuitry of your display - as I'm firmly at budget level the HD makes all my sources look better.

4. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info.

5. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

when you say the ultra isn't a scaler will it not enhance for example a SKY+ picture, i.e. take in S-Video and output 576p?

Thanks

Mel

6. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the reason i'm thinking of buying. I don't think scaling matters for me really, as it will be a SD panel i buy(i'm probably wrong though)
    what i'm more interested in is will it improve sky, and will it output via the dvi no matter how the signal is fed into it.

7. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been reaing this sparky, it might shed a bit of light

ultra

8. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

Yes that's the manual I've just been reading - Looks like it will do what I want for SKY+ quite admirably and the ultra is cheap (just picked one up for £210 second hand). Just need the screen to go with it!!

Cheers

Mel