Why Toshiba DVD Players are better!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GarethH, Mar 15, 2001.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've noticed that Toshiba seem to like putting new technology and features onto their players, but Pioneer seem to like improving the quality of the old technology's.

If you look at the Pioneer 939A and compare with the Toshiba 900E you'll see what I mean.

The Toshiba has features such as:

- Hyper Anti-Alias Filter (540 Lines Resolution)
    - Neo Multi-bit Delta Sigma D/A Converter.
    - Mega Resolution Parallel DAC.
    - 10-Bit 54MHz Image Processing.

While some of these sound like like cheesy names for existing technology, their not. After seeing the Toshiba 900E in play at my friends house, i want one. But i cannot afford £1000. Hopefully Toshiba will introduce some slightly cheaper players with these features.

This is why Toshiba DVD is far better, they bring new technology to their players.

[This message has been edited by GarethH (edited 15-03-2001).]

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Gareth ...
    Have a look at the Tosh 500E which HCC gave a rave review to recently - I dont know how much of their new technology in in this machine but it looks like my next machine
    (I want DVD-A in particular) ... Paul [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +723
    I want this model too (SD-500E).. I have asked questions on this forum about it, but have had no replys..

It seems that it might not be that popular, even though it has had rave reviews!

It WAS top of my list, but I have just learned that it doesn't play SVCDs, so its not use to me, as this was one reason why I was upgrading!

4. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I agree - Toshiba players are the best - definately for picture quality. That 540 line sharp picture makes all the difference.

I want to go for the SD900E but as far as I know there is no RCE mod for it yet.
    Regarding the Toshiba players popularity - having spoken to many Multi-Region experts and dealers - they say that Toshiba sales are very, very poor in comparison to Sony, Pioneer etc. They say, this is due to the Multi-Region / RCE issue as the reviews are great and the machines are excellent.

Anyone else interested in the SD900E when an RCE / Manual Switching mod is found?

------------------
    M.J.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Interesting Thread. I own a 626d which I have never been totally happy with (this is actually the second one, the first was DOA). It was a spur of the moment Internet purchase that I always regretted. I always hankered after something better and ALL the Toshibas were better players. I know they sell reasonably well but for me the obliterate the oposition until the Pioneer 737, Arcam DV 88 and the almighty Tag come into play.

I am still surprized that they do not sell better, especially 100. I still feel the 9000 (not the 900) is the player to beat at £400 multi region. But if you want DVD Audio....

6. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also currently own a 626D and i was happy with it until i compared it against my parents Toshiba 100E. The Toshiba had a far better picture and sound was clearer.

I was going to buy the Toshiba 2109 originally (when I bought the 626D), but the 2109 did not support CD-R and CD Audio Quality was suppose to be pants.

I would buy a Toshiba 500E, but i heard the CD Audio Quality is still not up to good standards.

I believe Toshiba's main problem of selling is because people think of Pioneer as being a very good make. Not many people understand that Toshiba make fantastic DVD Players and they all beat Pioneer for performance as well as build quality.

I understand you can not have all the features (CD-R Playback, Good CD Audio, Best Picture, Best DVD Sound) at once unless you pay top price for it. I plan to wait 6 months down the line for Toshiba's newer range. Hopefully they'll add CD Audio Quality and CD-R Playback to their list, while keeping that fantastic Picture quality.

Has Toshiba patented their 540 line resolution thing, cause nobody else seems to be using them.

I suppose the longer i wait the better performance increase i am going to get. I suppose I could understand upgrading a first or second generation DVD Player. My Pioneer is only a 1.5 years old and i do not think its worth change it yet.

DVD DAC's are improving all the time and its amazing to think you can still make the picture better. How much better can it get? As eventually you you cant get better if the source material is the same. It seems that they still have not managed to squeeze and display 100% of the picture quality that is on the DVD Disc.

Lets see.

7. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Techtronics about the SD500E and they said they would have it available in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully RCE compatable as is their 100E and 200E mod.

Don't know what price they will be asking for though.

8. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It might be prudent to ask about macrovision as well !, as the one I got from another supplier does not have it disabled